Digital Media Computing with a Foundation Year – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (4 years)
Digital Media Computing with a Foundation Year enables you to study with support of the latest in digital media technology equipment. This includes digital TV studios, edit and dubbing suites.
We’ve developed this multidisciplinary course to combine computing and digital media. This enables you to leave university as a versatile graduate with a mix of computing, technical and content creation skills. Study with us and rest assured that you’ll be prepared for a world seeking those able to develop the next generation of digital media products.
About the Foundation Year
The Foundation Year enables you to study for our BSc (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four). The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study programme that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of your degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all of the modules of the Foundation Certificate.
What’s covered in the course?
Our Digital Media Computing course is an intellectually challenging and highly rewarding programme that covers everything from coding to animation. It will prepare you to meet the professional and technical demands of industry.
You will learn underlying principles of computer science, as well as visual design and human computer interaction, bringing these together through a collaborative innovation project.
Explore more in-depth the areas of web application development, digital media processing, media production and 3D modelling and animation. Plus, take advantage of opportunities to work on real world projects through a major group project in year two, as well as undertaking an individual project in the final year.
You will develop key transferrable skills, such as teamwork, reflection and self-awareness. You’ll also gain analytical skills through coursework tasks, as well as enhancing your problem solving using a range of systems and technologies. There is also an option to undertake an industrial placement, gaining valuable work experience.
The main thing that attracted me to the course was that it covered a wide range of disciplines which allowed me to expand my skillset. The course also had a business module which gave a good overview of the media industry. Irfan Vasin
Why Choose Us?
- Graduates from this programme have the computing and multimedia skills to apply the latest technologies, as well as the versatility needed to succeed in a constantly evolving, challenging industry.
- You will learn from an experienced team of academics and practitioners who offer not only academic expertise, but also current industry understanding and business acumen.
- You will be based at our City Centre Campus which houses cutting-edge facilities, including the largest University TV studio, within a purpose-built Media Centre at The Parkside Building.
- Creative network opportunities, multimedia events and guest speakers bring the insights, contacts and the realities of the media world to your studies.
- The School is established as one of the leading academies for Microsoft and Cisco Systems.
- The course involves project-based learning, which enables you to work in teams while developing web and multimedia applications and solving technical problems – as you would in the workplace.