Attendance Full Time (4 Years), Sandwich (5 Years)
Looking for a foundation course in business management in Birmingham? Our BA (Hons) Business Management with a Foundation Year course has lower entry requirements and can lead to a full undergraduate qualification.
This course has been specifically designed to allow home and EU students, who do not initially meet the Birmingham City University entry requirements for our standard Business management degree, to undertake additional level 3 study designed to ensure they are successful on their chosen degree course.
Tailor your Business Degree
When you successfully complete your Foundation Year, you will be able to progress onto a range of Undergraduate courses at the Birmingham City Business School (excluding our Integrated Master’s degrees). These include:
What’s covered in the course?
Business and Management are broad subjects, widely recognised and highly regarded by employers for the skills and knowledge they give to graduates. Business focuses on operations and functions while management explores the concepts, theories and practices which have an impact on organisational success.
At Birmingham City University we have combined the essential elements of these subjects into BA (Hons) Business Management – a broad-based degree which prepares you for a range of exciting careers. You will explore how organisations evolve, how they grow, why they change and how they survive and flourish. Coupled with this you will develop and practise the competencies managers need to make this happen.
Three things make BA (Hons) Business Management distinctive. Firstly, you gain an understanding of business operations including Human Resources, Marketing, Consultancy, Finance, Strategy, Logistics and Supply Chain, coupled with the knowledge and ability to engage, lead and develop people.
Secondly, research tells us employers want graduates who, in addition to knowledge, have attributes and attitude appropriate to a professional environment. We have addressed this with a theme of management development running throughout Business Management to ensure you will graduate with both a good degree and the competence to start, maintain and thrive throughout your career.
Thirdly, a key part of studying Business Management is learning about the ‘real world’ context so you will explore corporate responsibility, ethical operations, the use and management of social media and technology, and internationalisation in our post-Brexit/Global world.
Why Choose Us?
- This course is designed to progress students who fall below normal entry requirement levels on to full Undergraduate degrees.
- This degree course is aligned with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of management, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the business world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course.
- You’ll be involved in real world business projects and hear from leading industry speakers, who will share current thinking around business and management. You’ll also get the chance to go behind the scenes at places such as the luxury outlet shopping centre Bicester Village and Manchester United Football Club with our trips and visits.
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- Our staff have worked in managerial roles for some of the biggest brands in the world, including the likes of Tesco and Selfridges.
- You’ll be able to choose from three distinct associated programmes – Supply Chain Management, Consultancy or Enterprise, enabling you to tailor your interests to a specific course. Conversely, you could stay on the main Management route. The flexibility of the course means you aren’t tied down to any set career path – the skills you learn can be applied to any industry, whether you’re working in large teams or individually.
- We put a heavy emphasis on the hands-on skills needed in modern business management, with practical assessments as well as exams.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK
- The course will prepare you for a variety of management roles, whether they are based in the public, private or voluntary sector, a multinational company, a local organisation or your own business.