Accounting and Finance with a Foundation Year – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (4 Years), Sandwich (5 Years)
Looking for a foundation course in accounting in Birmingham? Our BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance with a Foundation Year course has lower entry requirements and can lead to a full undergraduate qualification.
This course has been specifically designed to allow home and EU students, who do not initially meet the Birmingham City University entry requirements for our standard Accounting and Finance degree, to undertake additional level 3 study designed to ensure they are successful on their chosen degree course.
What’s covered in the course?
The foundation year itself will equip you with the required knowledge and skills to proceed on to any of our undergraduate degree courses offered within Birmingham City Business School.
This course covers a range of areas such as accounting, taxation, business economics and law, strategic decision-making, and management, with real-life briefs and projects to work on.
This course offers you the choice of studying for the conventional four years or undertaking an additional professional placement for a year at no extra cost. A year of work experience will not only provide you with real-world experience of your subject but will also give your employability credentials a substantial boost.
As part of their studies, previous students have worked with renowned names such as AXA Investments, Bentley, Goodyear Dunlop and Volkswagen.
With our practice-based approach to teaching, you’ll have the chance to learn from professionally qualified, experienced academics who continue to work with industry. They’ve worked for companies such as KPMG, BMW and Cadbury Schweppes.
Why Choose Us?
- This course is designed to progress students who fall below normal entry requirement levels on to full Undergraduate degrees.
- This degree course is accredited by the ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW and CIPFA professional bodies for maximum exemptions. This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of accounting, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the business world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course. Your placement tutor will also give you guidance throughout.
- Our links with accrediting bodies and big name businesses mean we regularly hold industry talks and guest visits on campus.
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- Your course will consider the study of accountancy, finance and business from an international perspective, and you will be given the opportunity to travel abroad as part of your course.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK.
- We keep group sizes small, and focus on teaching instead of lecturing, meaning you’ll get all the time and focus you need from our industry experienced staff.