Advanced Computer Science – MSc
Attendance Full Time, Part Time
Starting September 2019, January 2020
The MSc Advanced Computer Science programme intends to develop your competence in using tools and techniques for producing computer systems solutions, from a sound mathematical and scientific base while appreciating the professional responsibilities and quality needed by industry.
What’s covered in the course?
The course is designed to cover a number of advanced computing topics in computer science, namely, ontological engineering, service-oriented design, user-centred design, data engineering, and mobile-application development. In addition, you will receive a solid grounding in research methods and project management before undertaking an individual project that provides an opportunity to demonstrate technical and general employability skills in preparation for career progression. More specifically, the individual project simulates typical graduate workplace tasks that require in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific area of computer science. This will include consideration of wider issues and the ability to manage activities and resources, as well as generate, implement and report on solutions to meet task objectives.
Throughout your masters in computer science, you’ll be supported by our expert teaching staff, all of whom have a wide range of research and industrial experience in areas such as intelligent systems, mobile computing, Semantic Web, machine learning and software engineering, which they use to enhance the curriculum.
I started studying Computer Science at Birmingham City University to improve and broaden my knowledge in this field, so that I can find a career in the near future in this field as it has always been my passion. BCU’s great labs, library, resources and knowledgeable tutors made this university the best place to start this journey.
I have been away from Computer Science for a few years but the support I received from the Faculty at BCU has made the first few challenging weeks of my study enjoyable. Maryam Mehdigholi
Why Choose Us?
- We are working with Google to improve the employability of our Advanced Computer Science graduates. On completion of the course you will be equipped to apply for roles in companies such as Google and Facebook.
- You’ll have access to dedicated industry-standard facilities in our own fully equipped laboratory. Based within our £114 million Millennium Point building, you’ll be able to undertake work such as artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, mobile and web application development, and data science.
- We are home to a Cisco Systems and a Microsoft Academy Centre – one of Microsoft’s top UK university-based academies – and we are a member of the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance. We are also a Cisco ASC (Academy Support Centre) and Cisco Instructor Training Centre (ITC) – one of only 10 such instructor training centres in the UK.
- The course is supported through the activities of the Innovations in Computing Education research group, designed to keep teaching and assessment updated to match international trends.
- We have strong links with companies such as Oracle, LPI, Microsoft, AWS and Apple, which ensure that the course is relevant and respected by employers.