Architectural Technology – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years), Sandwich (4 years), Part Time (5 years)
Want a career as an Architectural Technologist? Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT), our BSc (Hons) Architectural Technology degree course is where the science of construction meets the art of design. The course focuses not only on the creation of the built environment, but also the structuring of space in and around it.
Much of your learning activity will be hands-on, with access to our strong industry links. You’ll also be provided with the latest CAD software, meaning you’ll be well equipped to make an impact in an important industry.
The course will develop your ability to appreciate and analyse existing design as well as create new ones, while keeping buildability, technology, procurement, contractual relations and the people involved in the process in mind. You will also explore the social, regulatory, technical, sustainable and aesthetic context of the UK and global development industry.
Our outstanding industry links mean you’ll be able to work on live projects, using the very latest technology and techniques. You will learn how to construct designs using CAD in a three-dimensional format. You’ll also be kept up to date with the latest skills, such as Building Information Modelling (BIM) and will be actively involved in the creation of a BIM model for a prestigious UK building.
We help you gain the skills to negotiate with planning and building authorities and develop the expertise to advise them. You will also investigate project and contract management.
Our excellent relationships with employers open up a range of opportunities for work placements. This will enable you to gain first-hand experience of the work of architectural technologists while making valuable professional contacts.
With the support of experienced and qualified staff, you’ll use facilities that reflect the work environment you’ll enter after graduation. Studying at our expanding City Centre Campus, you’ll be immersed in a creative environment with the chance to be inspired by the urban architecture of Birmingham.
The city plays host to regular festivals that celebrate architecture, including the Birmingham Architecture Festival and Still Walking, so there are lots of opportunities to explore the possibilities and potential of the built environment.
Regular field trips to construction projects throughout the Midlands will add further colour and relevance to your studies as you gain inspiration from a variety of landscapes and settings.
Lecturers are always willing to help… they work to ensure everyone can reach their full potential. Aneesa Muller
Studying Architectural Technology at BCU has been the best decision I have made. Sagal Rooble
Why Choose Us?
- You’ll use industry-standard facilities, including Computer-Assisted Design (CAD) 2 and 3D, as well as work in the Building Information Modelling (BIM) environment. When you enter your career, you’ll have the skills that give you a competitive advantage.
- In 2017, we are spending £6.5 million on improvements to our Millennium Point facilities so you’ll have even more access to dedicated, industry-standard equipment.
- We have experienced, supportive academic staff, who hold architectural technology professional qualifications and maintain close links with the professional body.
- We have outstanding industry connections, including partnerships with engineering, management and development consultants Mott MacDonald and Birmingham City Council’s Urban Design team.
- It’s an exciting time to study architecture and design in Birmingham – the city is undergoing huge regeneration. The Big City Plan, a 20-year vision covering every aspect of the built environment, is creating innovative redevelopments and opportunities.