Art and Design – PhD
Attendance Full Time, Part Time, Distance Learning
A PhD in Art and Design will help you create opportunities to develop research skills that support professional practice, research and/or academic careers within the fields of art, design and the creative industries. You will study in a world-class research environment which enables both practice-led and/or entirely text based PhD research to be developed to the highest level.
What’s covered in the course?
A PhD enables you to follow a programme of self-directed, independent study, supported by experienced supervisors who are themselves experts in their area. You will also be supported by the wider research community in Art and Design and you will have regular opportunities to attend research seminars, conferences and symposia.
Our PhD gives you the opportunity to spend time researching and developing a deep understanding of a unique area of interest whilst contributing world-leading insight to the academic specialisms in Art and Design at Birmingham City University.
Why Choose Us?
- When you join us you will become a member of the thriving research culture in Art and Design at Birmingham City University across the Schools of Architecture and Design, Art, Fashion and Textiles, Jewellery and Visual Communication.
- You will study in a world-class research environment which enables both practice-led and/or entirely text based PhD research to be developed to the highest level. We support a range of thesis submissions, including a combination of written and practice elements as well as a traditional written thesis.
- Whether based in the contemporary Parkside building, or our historic School of Art and School of Jewellery buildings, our research students have access to dedicated workspace that acts as the hub of our PhD research activity.
- You will be guided in your PhD research by a team of supervisors who you will meet on a regular basis to review your progress and plan your next steps.
- You will be encouraged to organise your research as a programme of professional and academic development tailored to your individual interests and career aspirations. For example, you can strengthen your PhD research and personal/professional development by participating in wider international research communities and conferences, and by helping to teach degree modules to undergraduate students.
- On successful completion of your PhD research degree you will have either contributed new knowledge or extended existing theory and understanding of an area of interest and significance within the fields of art, design and the creative industries.