Biomedical Engineering – BEng (Hons) / MEng
Attendance Full Time (3 years), Full Time (4 years)
Are you interested in engineering that interacts with the human body? Our practice-led Biomedical Engineering degree explores mathematics, anatomy, physiology and computing to meet the rapid advancement in technology which is becoming a vital part of healthcare. Throughout this programme, you will have the option to carry out exciting work placements in the UK and abroad. If this sounds like the degree for you then find out more about our university entry requirements.
What’s covered in the course?
Our unique Biomedical Engineering degree programme will provide you with the skills and expertise needed to work in specialist areas such as assistive technology, rehabilitation, medical imaging and robotics, physiology monitoring, cardiopulmonary engineering, m-health and e-health, orthopaedic implants and regenerative medicine/ tissue engineering.
Biomedical Engineering (also known as bioengineering) is a discipline of engineering that interacts with the human body. You will be developing and applying innovative skills in the design, manufacturing and maintenance of medical equipment and devices covering all spectrums from the new born to assistive living for the elderly. Industrial-led practical workshops and labs will help enhance your technical skills. This will enable you to relate ‘real-life’ commercial innovations to the underpinning academic theory learnt in the lectures.
Our state-of-the-art facilities will allow you to explore a variety of biomedical applications including: sensing and measuring on micro and nano scales, personal health tracking, remote diagnosis and monitoring, biomaterials to name a few. The knowledge acquired will then enable you to engage in exciting projects such as designing prostheses or devising new medical technology for physicians and medical professionals to be used in the prognosis, diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Along with these technical skills, as an engineer you will also gain a diverse range of transferrable skills, including effective communication, leadership, the ability to critically assess gaps in target healthcare markets, and the tools required to provide solutions to bridge those gaps.
The programme is currently in progression of accreditation by the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM), the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
Where will I study?
You will learn within our recently extended £71 million City South Campus, located in Edgbaston just five minutes from Birmingham City Centre. Our campus has been recently re-developed and provides access to cutting-edge facilities that will enhance and support your learning during your time here.
“It’s really challenging, it’s a course that takes your mind to a place you didn’t even think imaginable. For me, this is a pathway to graduate medicine, for others it’s to hospital engineering departments or health app programming, the possibilities are endless.”
Why Choose Us?
- Progress straight on to postgraduate study – successful completion of this unique course allows you to continue at postgraduate level
- Explore the multi-disciplinary of a career in Biomedical Engineering – you will have access to the excellent facilities on both our health and engineering campuses. Giving you the benefits of both disciplines in regards to resources and technical know-how
- Study at our £71 million City South Campus – including specialist labs and over £250,000 worth of new equipment as a part of our £71 million investment into our City South Campus in Edgbaston, where you will be predominantly based
- Small tutorial classes to allow for in depth opportunities to develop your skills and receive constructive feedback
- Personal tutors to support you in achieving your learning goals
- Carry out work placements in the UK or abroad – this course will provide you with opportunities to carry out exciting work placements in the UK and abroad
- Strong partnerships and links with medical institutions and healthcare providers, including the NHS and private sector, providing you opportunities for collaboration
- Learn from experienced tutors who are experts in their field
- Access to our cutting-edge virtual technologies and one of the UK’s largest specialist health education libraries