Biomedical Sciences – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years), Sandwich (4 years)
Do you want a career in biomedical sciences? Our practice-led degree offers a unique insight into human life processes, as well as disease and health within the population. You’ll develop a range of practical and analytical skills, with the opportunity to put them into practice during an optional sandwich year work placement. This course is based at our recently extended state-of-the-art £71 million campus in Edgbaston, Birmingham.
What’s covered in the course?
Biomedical sciences embrace a number of important disciplines, including physiology, biochemistry, cell biology, microbiology and genetics. These subjects are of great importance in the provision of healthcare, medical research and underpin the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. On this course you will learn about how the human body functions in health and disease, and develop an understanding of the diagnosis, management and treatment of a range of diseases. This degree emphasises critical thinking and independent problem solving skills, which will help you to navigate a successful career after graduation.
Throughout this course you will acquire important practical and scientific skills whilst being taught in our new state-of-the-art life sciences laboratories. You will have the opportunity to take an optional sandwich-year placement in an industrial, clinical or research setting between years 2 and 3 of this course. In the final year you will undertake an independent Research Project where you will execute your own experiments under supervision.
Graduates may go on to a range of careers directly or after further post-graduate training and study. These careers include medical laboratory assistants, trainee biomedical scientists, physician associates, clinical trials for drug companies, research assistants and research technicians, marketing assistants and medical and scientific representatives. Graduates may also use their qualifications to progress into teaching careers, as well as post-graduate study to obtain MSc, MPhil, Physician Associate/Assistant and PhD qualifications. Exceptional graduates may be able progress into post-graduate Medicine and Dentistry.
Why Choose Us?
- We’re the region’s largest provider of qualified health and social care professionals to the NHS.
- You’ll benefit from our partnerships across health and social care providers both within the UK and internationally.
- You’ll learn in state-of-the-art environments, with access to our cutting-edge virtual technologies and one of the UK’s largest specialist health education libraries.
- The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) has cited the support provided for students on our courses as demonstrating good levels of practice.
- You’ll be based at our City South Campus, which is set for major expansion, including newly built laboratories and equipment that will give you a leading edge when seeking employment.