Business Management (Professional Practice) – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 Years)
Want to get a job in business and management? Our BA Business Management (Professional Practice) degree allows you to take a year-long placement in industry during your course.
During your final year you will work full-time with an employer in the business management sector alongside finishing your degree through block release and blended delivery. This approach lets you put your learning into practice at an early stage and build further experience in the workplace before you graduate.
What is a Professional Practice degree?
Standard undergraduate degrees typically take three years of study to complete. At Birmingham City Business School we also offer sandwich degrees, which are four years in length and incorporate a year-long placement in industry during your third year.
Professional Practice degrees, however, combine the merits of both of these approaches in one degree, allowing you to complete your full degree and your year-long placement all within the standard three year period. Upon successful completion of your second year, you will embark on an industry placement for your third and final year. We have a dedicated team who will help you secure a placement directly related to your degree and career aspirations.
As a Professional Practice student, you complete the same number of modules and credit as a standard degree except now your learning, teaching and assessments will be related directly to the real world experience you gain on placement. During your placement year you will be allocated a placement tutor and your practice based learning will be supported by some block teaching at the University supported by on-line learning activities.
The Professional Practice pathway is perfect for you if you want the benefit of a placement year, but want your degree to be completed within three years.
What’s covered in the course?
BA (Hons) Business Management offers a dedicated management route and three distinct associated programmes, which allow you to specialise in a specific area, while still learning the core skills of business and management.
Consultancy enables you to gain an insight into the theory and application of the industry, Supply Chain Management is perfect if you wish to seek a deeper insight into the operation of the supply chain, while the Enterprise pathway provides a route for you if you are interested in the development and sustainability of new business operations.
These courses will enhance your understanding of organisations and the environment in which they operate, will prepare you for a career in business and management, and enhance your skills to become a lifelong learner.
Your learning will embrace the development and operation of business markets, the management of key resources including human capital, financial management, strategic management and cultural awareness. In addition, you will gain an insight into digital business exploring how technology has remodelled the business world and reflect on the accompanying issues around social responsibility and ethical behaviour.
Our accreditation from the CMI ensures you will be provided with the latest information and knowledge, as well as providing key industry links and insight.
Why Choose Us?
- This degree course is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- Our innovative Professional Practice route is a fast-track degree which enables you to complete your third and final year while enjoying the benefits of a year-long work placement. This allows you to gain valuable real-life experience in industry and embark on your career a year earlier than a traditional sandwich degree.*
- You’ll be involved in real world business projects and hear from leading industry speakers, who will share current thinking around business and management. You’ll also get the chance to go behind the scenes at places such as the luxury outlet shopping centre Bicester Village and Manchester United Football Club with our trips and visits.
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- Our staff have worked in managerial roles for some of the biggest brands in the world, including the likes of Tesco and Selfridges.
- You’ll be able to choose from three distinct associated programmes – Supply Chain Management, Consultancy or Enterprise, enabling you to tailor your interests to a specific course. Conversely, you could stay on the main Management route. The flexibility of the course means you aren’t tied down to any set career path – the skills you learn can be applied to any industry, whether you’re working in large teams or individually.
- We put a heavy emphasis on the hands-on skills needed in modern business management, with practical assessments as well as exams.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK
- The course will prepare you for a variety of management roles, whether they are based in the public, private or voluntary sector, a multinational company, a local organisation or your own business.