Business (Professional Practice) – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 Years)
Want to become a business professional? Our BA (Hons) Business (Professional Practice) degree allows you to take a year-long placement in industry during your course, meaning you graduate with a qualification and experience.
Our course will equip you with the practical skills and enterprising attributes, enabling you to make an immediate impact on business organisations. You will be able to develop a wide range of cognitive and intellectual skills, together with competencies specific to business and enterprise.
What is a Professional Practice degree?
Standard undergraduate degrees typically take three years of study to complete. At Birmingham City Business School we also offer sandwich degrees, which are four years in length and incorporate a year-long placement in industry during your third year.
Professional Practice degrees, however, combine the merits of both of these approaches in one degree, allowing you to complete your full degree and your year-long placement all within the standard three year period. Upon successful completion of your second year, you will embark on an industry placement for your third and final year. We have a dedicated team who will help you secure a placement directly related to your degree and career aspirations.
As a Professional Practice student, you complete the same number of modules and credit as a standard degree except now your learning, teaching and assessments will be related directly to the real world experience you gain on placement. During your placement year you will be allocated a placement tutor and your practice based learning will be supported by some block teaching at the University supported by on-line learning activities.
The Professional Practice pathway is perfect for you if you want the benefit of a placement year, but want your degree to be completed within three years.
What’s covered in the course?
The course will provide you with the opportunity to develop specialist business skills, whilst helping you develop key transferrable skills, all of which will help you stand out when it comes to securing employment.
What sets the BA Business (Professional Practice) pathway apart is that it allows you to study alongside working within an organisation, thereby fast tracking your professional development.
This route, which utilises work-based learning in your final year, allows you to apply your studies directly in your work experience. There will also be opportunities to try out different graduate roles with a wide variety of placements and internships on offer to compliment your studies.
Your learning will embrace the development and operation of business markets, the management of key resources including human capital, financial management, strategic management and cultural awareness. In addition, you will gain an insight into digital business exploring how technology has remodelled the business world and reflect on the accompanying issues around social responsibility and ethical behaviour.
Your course will foster your intellectual and ethical development and encourage your personal commitment to the socially useful purpose of becoming a business professional. It will also develop your core behaviours through learning activities that enable you to practise, exhibit and develop confidence in enterprise and entrepreneurship.
Why Choose Us?
- Our innovative Professional Practice route is a fast-track degree which enables you to complete your third and final year while enjoying the benefits of a year-long work placement. This allows you to gain valuable real-life experience in industry and embark on your career a year earlier than a traditional sandwich degree.*
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- Our Business team have a range of experiences within industry and these will be enhanced by the unique contributions which colleagues in strategy, finance and enterprise can offer.
- Our module offering is shaped to address perceived gaps in the business industry, meaning you will graduate with in-demand skills.
- Throughout your degree, you will be working in collaboration with students from other courses, such as Marketing, Management and Accounting, giving you an insight into all aspects of modern day business.
- Stimulate your learning experience with us by taking part in external initiatives and schemes, such as our Emerald Forest mock hotel simulation.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK.