Civil Engineering with a Foundation Year – BEng (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (4 years), Sandwich (5 years)
Want to become a Civil Engineer? Study our Civil Engineering degree course with a foundation year. This course, designed to meet the requirements of relevant professional bodies, will give you the best start to your career in civil engineering.
Much of your learning activity will be hands-on, with access to our strong industry links. You’ll also be provided with the latest CAD software, meaning you’ll be well equipped to make an impact in an important industry.
The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BEng (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four) in your studies. The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study programme that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of the degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all modules of the Foundation Certificate.
What’s covered in the course?
Civil engineers build power stations, bridges and motorways; our course will prepare you to work on these projects. You will focus on hydraulics, examining how water flows and drives turbines, and your studies will be enhanced through site visits, field trips and guest lectures.
On this course you will develop the key transferable skills that modern employers require, such as problem solving, project planning, presentation and communication. Our strong links to industry enable you to apply your learning to problem-based scenarios, ensuring your intellectual and practical competencies are fully developed.
You’ll experience a unique simulated workplace and work towards a successful career as a chartered civil engineer.
The team was impressed with BSc vocational education available … and it was noted that these programmes are well respected and serving industry needs. Joint Board of Moderators
Why Choose Us?
- The course will develop your understanding of many construction professions within the field of civil engineering.
- The course will help you to develop a comprehensive understanding of the many construction professions within the field of civil engineering.
- You have the option to enhance your skills and gain valuable work experience with a placement at one of our key industry link companies.
- Our graduates work for companies such as Balfour Beatty, Cancer Care, in roles such as construction managers or design engineers.
- The course meets the specific requirements of professional bodies, enabling you to progress in your career as a civil engineer.