Computer Forensics – BSc (Hons) / MSci
Attendance BSc (Hons) - Full Time (3 years), Sandwich (4 years) MSci - Full Time (4 years)
Join us at Birmingham City University and study Computer Forensics in the UK. Our BSc (Hons) /MSci Computer Forensics course gives you access to study in our specialist Digital Forensics labs, allequipped to industry standards and run the latest software, meaning you can experience the most current technology and prepare yourself for the working world.
With digital forensics playing a critical role in the world of modern criminal investigations, studying Computer Forensics with us will help you develop the practical and professional skills needed by employers in the digital forensics, cyber security and law enforcement sectors.
The course covers the acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data recovered from computers and digital devices to establish factual evidence. Our dedicated specialist Digital Forensics Laboratory hosts professional digital forensics tools, including EnCase, FTK, XRY, Cellebrite and other industry standard tools. You will also develop the necessary legal, expert witness and professional skills required by employers.
What’s covered in the course?
This course is for you if you want to combine a highly rigorous academic qualification with real life practical work experience that will prepare you to apply your knowledge as a computer forensics expert or forensic investigator. You’ll be joining a well established course, with a proven track record of producing skilled and confident graduates who are ready to meet the demands of the digital forensics industry. To ensure the course meets the knowledge and skill requirements for conducting professional digital forensic investigations, the course curriculum has been designed in close consultation with digital forensics experts from the private sector as well as from a number of UK police constabularies.
The multidisciplinary nature of our course will foster the essential skills you require in computer networking, ethical hacking, computer programming, and legal and expert witness roles complementary to digital forensic investigations. These attributes are not only essential to employers in law enforcement and the digital forensics industry but also serve as broader employability skills. On graduation, you will be capable of managing a digital forensic case and conducting technical examination and interpretation of digital-based evidence. You will develop as a confident, highly skilled and professional graduate with a meticulous and methodological approach to problem solving, whether working individually or as part of a professional team.
Motivated by a practice led, knowledge applied philosophy, our course emphasises a hands on, practical approach to learning digital forensic investigation, computer networking and other essential computing techniques using commercial and open-source forensic tools. We incorporate additional activities such as industrial workshops, practitioner boot-camps, guest lectures and vendor qualification assessments to strengthen the employability driven nature of our course.
Studying computing with us puts you at the heart of an exciting, innovative community. Part of your first-year assessment will involve taking part in our annual Innovation Fest, where students get together to solve society’s problems with creative technology. Previous projects have included medical assistance drones, accessible gaming controllers, and smart housing solutions. The event brings together students, academics and industry guests, so it’s a great way to have fun, build experience and network, and win prizes!
You can also opt for an industrial placement year, which gives you an invaluable opportunity to hone your expertise, try out a potential career path and get relevant workplace experience that is valued by employers.
I enjoyed the practical sessions and the problem solving aspects of the course. I believe that this has set me up with the right skillset to allow me to conduct digital forensic investigations to the best of my ability. Peter O’Dwyer
Why Choose Us?
- Our curriculum has been developed in close collaboration with industry and input from various digital forensics service providers and police constabularies around the UK.
- Our specialist Digital Forensics Lab boasts a plethora of industry standard digital forensics and data recovery resources to provide you with the best learning opportunities and industry-relevant hands on practical skills.
- The course has been designed with graduate employability at the forefront. Owing to our excellent industrial ties, we regularly host guest lectures and workshops hosted by digital forensics and law enforcement professionals, giving you the opportunity to meet key industry figures.
- At various stages during the course, we host specialist boot-camps delivered by digital forensics practitioners and provide opportunities to obtain vendor qualifications to enhance your career prospects.
- Our course has a proven track record of producing confident and highly skilled graduates who gain employment in the digital forensics, cyber security and law enforcement sectors.