Computer Networks and Security – BSc (Hons) / MSci
Attendance BSc (Hons) - Full Time (3 years), Sandwich (4 years) MSci - Full Time (4 years)
Fascinated by cyber security in today’s society? It’s a key concern for modern organisations in our digital world. Secure communication technologies form the bedrock of our modern connected mobile society and our BSc (Hons) / MSci Computer Networks and Security degree coursefocuses on the practical needs of businesses that require high quality computer and network security, ensuring you’re equipped for a career in this increasingly important industry.
Want to know more?
Find out about our Integrated Master’s
What’s covered in the course?
The course takes a practice-led approach, making use of equipment and tools found in the industry to give you the best preparation for a successful career. Our approach prioritises the practical skills sought by industry, backing this up with a thorough understanding of theory. The course delivers the latest in computing, network and security technologies, with the opportunity to gain additional accreditation from Cisco, Juniper, Huawei and the Linux Professional Institute. Birmingham City University is also home to Cisco Systems and the Microsoft Academy Centre. You’ll learn from a well-rounded curriculum in computer network engineering, programming, server systems, security theory and practice, as well as management-level skills such as project and change management, maximizing your career potential.
Studying computing with us puts you at the heart of an exciting, innovative community. Part of your first-year assessment will involve taking part in our annual Innovation Fest, where students get together to solve society’s problems with creative technology. Previous projects have included medical assistance drones, accessible gaming controllers, and smart housing solutions. The event brings together students, academics and industry guests, so it’s a great way to have fun, build experience and network, and win prizes!
Upon graduation you could progress into a career as a network security engineer, network administrator, and network security analyst or network security architect.
I always recommend Birmingham City University to students wishing to go to the UK for studies and six of them so far have listened to my advice!”
Muhammad Sagir Usman
Why Choose Us?
- We are home to a Cisco Systems and the Microsoft Academy Centre – one of Microsoft’s top UK university-based academies – and we are a member of the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance. We are also a Cisco ASC (Academy Support Centre) and Cisco Instructor Training Centre (ITC) – one of only 10 such instructor training centres in the UK.
- Our course has been designed in line with the requirements of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) in order to prepare you for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status.
- You will work with industry-standard software development and simulation tools.
- You have the opportunity to undertake an industry placement and gain professional qualifications from vendors such as Cisco, Microsoft and Linux Professional Institute.
- The School is based at Millennium Point, our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, which has outstanding resources and facilities.