Computer Networks and Security with a Foundation Year – BSc (Hons) *
Attendance Full Time (4 years)
Fascinated by cyber security in today’s society? It’s a key concern for modern organisations in our digital world. BSc Computer Networks and Security with a Foundation Year focuses on the practical needs of businesses that require high quality computer and network security, ensuring you’re equipped for a career in this increasingly important industry.
Birmingham City University is also home to Cisco Systems and the Microsoft Academy Centre.
About the Foundation Year
The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BSc (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four). The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study course that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of your degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all of the modules of the Foundation Certificate.
What’s covered in the course?
This four year degree takes a practice-led approach, making use of equipment and tools found in the industry to give you the best preparation for a successful career. Our approach prioritises the practical skills sought by industry, backing this up with a thorough understanding of theory. The course delivers the latest in computing, network and security technologies, with the opportunity to gain additional accreditation from Cisco, Juniper, Huawei and the Linux Professional Institute.
The course delivers a well-rounded curriculum in computer network engineering, programming, server systems, security theory and practice, as well as management-level skills such as project and change management, maximizing your career potential.
Upon graduation you could progress into a career as a network security engineer, network administrator, and network security analyst or network security architect.
I always recommend Birmingham City University to students wishing to go to the UK for studies and six of them so far have listened to my advice!”
Muhammad Sagir Usman
Why Choose Us?
- We are home to a Cisco Systems and the Microsoft Academy Centre – one of Microsoft’s top UK university-based academies – and we are a member of the Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance. We are also a Cisco ASC (Academy Support Centre) and Cisco Instructor Training Centre (ITC) – one of only 10 such instructor training centres in the UK.
- Our course has been designed in line with the requirements of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) in order to prepare you for Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status.
- You will work with industry-standard software development and simulation tools.
- You have the opportunity to undertake an industry placement and gain professional qualifications from vendors such as Cisco, Microsoft and Linux Professional Institute.
- The School is based at Millennium Point, our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, which has outstanding resources and facilities.