Computing and Information Technology with a Foundation Year – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (4 years)
Attendance Full Time (4 years)
Looking for a versatile IT course in the UK? Study with us in the exciting city of Birmingham. Our multidisciplinary BSc Computing and Information Technology with a Foundation Year degree will equip you with the technical and managerial skills you’ll need to embark on a successful IT career.
You’ll use first-class, industry-standard equipment and labs, and have the chance to put your academic learning into practice on a placement year – all of which will prepare you for an information technology career with a range of companies. We’re also an academy for Microsoft and Cisco systems with strong industry links.
About the Foundation Year
The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BSc (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four). The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study programme that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of your degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all of the modules of the Foundation Certificate.
What’s covered in the course?
This course is for you if you want to combine a highly rigorous academic qualification with real-life practical work experiences, enabling you to put your learning into innovative practice.
You’ll be based at our flagship City Centre Campus, where you’ll use dedicated, industry-standard facilities to research and work on enterprise software and virtual environments to develop business solutions and real-time systems.
You will develop the strategic mind-set to address global challenges; the kind that that businesses and communities face on a day-to-day basis to maintain their digital infrastructure. You’ll have access to virtual learning environments, as well as networking, electronic, enterprise systems and business intelligence laboratories.
We are preparing you for the workplace. You’ll learn computing and information technology skills that are needed to design, develop, operate and maintain effective systems. You’ll use your computing knowledge to provide and apply IT solutions that will continually evolve. We ensure you are able to innovate in order to deliver business value and sustainable solutions.
It’s not just about academic and technical knowledge – we’ll also help to develop your personal skills so that you can work effectively as a team member and problem solve at the highest level. This will not only enhance your employability levels, it will make you stand out from the crowd.
Throughout your course you’ll be supported by expert teaching staff, many of whom have worked in the field, are active in research and are continually innovating with industry.
Within the course there were excellent opportunities to develop myself both professionally and personally. You get a great deal of support outside of lectures – I really enjoyed the campus environment, which is a modern building and just a short walk from the city centre. It has a wide range of resources, which includes hundreds of computers and also a large networking area with both physical and virtualised networking environments.” Scott Brant, infrastructure and enablement consultant at Britvic
Why Choose Us?
- Our course has been designed in line with the requirements of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) to ensure our course remains fresh, relevant and replete with key industry information.
- We’re a leading academy for Microsoft and Cisco Systems.
- This course enables you to work towards Microsoft, Cisco, Linux and Oracle certifications and professional body qualifications too.
- We collaborate with prestigious organisations such as IBM, APC by Schneider Electric, Atos, Co-Op, Philips and the Chartered Institute for IT (the British Computer Society).
- You will have the opportunity to participate in renowned international programmes and competitions.
- You will have the opportunity and support to create a start-up business using ideas spawned during your course – several recent undergraduates on this course have done just that.
- You’ll have the opportunity to negotiate your learning outcomes in a working placement, either through a start-up project or business project.
* Please note this course has changed name for 2017/18. The KIS data below relates to the previous course title.