Conductive Education – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Transform the lives of people with disabilities and neurological motor disorders to help them as independent as possible with our BA (Hons) in Conductive Education.
Delivered by the National Institute of Conductive Education (NICE), this unique course is the only one in the UK to qualify you as a professional conductor to work with children and/or adults with physical disabilities.
What’s covered in the course?
The course is structured across six semesters. Each semester lasts 15 weeks, therefore you are expected to study for a minimum of 30 weeks per year.
Over the three years you will learn about topics such as neurological motor disorders, the professional skills needed to teach and develop skills including movement, confidence, understanding and communication, conductive practice and the work of professionals in the field.
You will be taught at the Conductive College, located in Moseley, which is a dedicated training space specifically for professionals, families and carers in the field of Conductive Education. Courses, leading to a qualification, will be accredited by Birmingham City University.
The conductive college is a key tool for the development of Conductive Education in the future and an essential part of the work of the NICE – the unique charity that believes every person with a movement disorder has the right to specialised services which meet their needs.
You will also start to learn about carrying out research and begin to investigate theoretical concepts in the light of practical experience and knowledge.
By the end of the course, you will have covered a range of academic subjects, all of which will enhance your ability to work as a professional conductor in a range of different countries or cultures.
“This course develops you as a person and enables you to help children and adults with complex needs and enhance their life too! There is constant practical and academic tuition, support and feedback throughout. A truly fantastic degree that makes a difference!”
Susan Mechan 3rd year BA (Hons) Conductive Education student
Why Choose Us?
- This is the only course in the UK to offer these life changing skills, for people who wish to work in conductive education and transform lives for those with disabilities and neurological motor disorders
- You will learn at the National Institute of Conductive Education (NICE), which is a small organisation with a community atmosphere, offering excellent support to its students
- Invaluable learning opportunities – there will be lots of opportunities for you to develop practical hands-on skills alongside qualified, experienced conductors so that you graduate ready for employment
- Benefit from our partnerships with industry – gain practical experiences both at NICE in Birmingham, as well as a range of schools and CE centres across the UK. With a strong theory-practice link, this course will give you to develop your own professional skill base and academic potential.
- Gain valuable employability skills – you will graduate from this course able to work in centres, schools and units all over the world, enabling you to seek employment in a range of different countries or cultures.
- Continue on to further education – you will develop your knowledge, understanding and adaptability, providing you with a solid basis from which you can achieve qualifications e.g. PGCE.