Construction Management with a Foundation Year – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (4 years)
If your ambition is to gain a senior site management role within the construction industry, our BSc Construction Management degree will set you on the right path.
About the Foundation Year
The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BSc (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four). The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study programme that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of your degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all of the modules of the Foundation Certificate.
What’s covered in the course?
In the UK, the construction industry provides one tenth of the UK’s gross domestic production and is a substantial employer, with over two million people employed in the industry.
Our course matches the needs of the industry, preparing you to be able to manage a construction project from inception and design through to occupation by developing your skills in management to enable you to deliver projects safely, on time, on budget and to the highest possible quality.
The complexity of construction projects requires construction professionals who have expertise in construction management and can work effectively with people from different cultural backgrounds and construction disciplines.
You will learn about the immediate and long-lasting effect which construction activities have on the environment, and discover sustainable and environmentally sound construction methods and innovative management practices. This degree has social innovation embedded its core.
You will learn through creative social problem solving, working with our industrial partners to develop your intellectual and practical competence, as required by professional bodies such as CIOB and RICS.
After completing this course, you will have a broad range of knowledge of the legal, technical, managerial, economic, social and environmental aspects of construction projects, and be able to confidently manage both commercial and civil engineering projects.
Why Choose Us?
- The course content has been developed in line with the requirements of two professional bodies, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB).
- Strong links with employers such as Willmott Dixon allow you to apply what you learn in a practical context through work placement opportunities. You’ll also have the chance to work on live projects for clients.
- It’s an exciting time to study construction in Birmingham – the city is undergoing huge regeneration. The Big City Plan, a 20-year vision covering every aspect of the built environment, is creating innovative redevelopments and opportunities.
- By undertaking further suitable work experience and the Professional Review, you can apply for full membership of CIOB and AssocRICS following the Assessment of Professional Competence with the RICS.
- You’ll use industry-standard equipment and benefit from regular site visits which give you a close-up view of professional practice, and build insight and industry perspective into your studies.
- You will have the opportunity to take part in international competitions such as the Associated Schools of Construction (ASC) Design and Build competition, giving you an opportunity to apply your skills to real-life projects. Our students have an impressive track record in these competitions and have had the opportunity to travel to competitions in locations across the world including Dallas, Texas.