Design for Performance – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Are you looking for a course that can act as a springboard for a rewarding career in design and production for theatre, festivals, exhibitions, nightclubs, live arts and more?
This degree will enable you to make creative and informed contributions to contemporary performance design practice. Ambitious in its approach, this course includes design and production for theatre, events, museums, concerts, exhibitions, festivals, environments, nightclubs, film, live arts and scenography.
You will benefit from the collaboration of ideas within a multidisciplinary School, on a course that reflects the dynamic crossover common to creative arts in the 21st Century. Imagination, experimentation and risk-taking are fundamental to our students, as the challenges and opportunities are so varied on this course.
What’s covered in the course?
You will develop a clear understanding of the scope and breadth of contemporary Design for Performance, engaging with a variety of individual and collaborative opportunities. You will work with traditional and experimental formats from stage design to live arts, and site-specific festivals to themed environments. Using hands-on making, technical skills, 2D and 3D design, craft techniques and digital platforms, you will be able to determine your own career path in this expansive and growing industry.
Our approach is to offer a first year experience that educates and supports students to develop skills and understanding that encompass spatial, figurative and performance design. From these underpinning principles, students tailor their second and third year study to areas of performance that are of particular interest to them. Because flexibility is built into our course design, you are able to study the same modules together regardless of your specific area of interest – this fosters a studio culture rich in diversity and collaboration.
You will be supported by an experienced team who will assist you with your exploration of the traditions, theories and practices that are pertinent to your individual student journey. Learning is demonstrated through an accumulation of individual, collaborative, realised, speculative and live projects, along with a suite of high profile industry opportunities.
This ensures that the course remains relevant and able to respond to the needs of the contemporary and future workplace and indeed to the discipline as a whole.
“The course gave me the opportunity to explore a wide variety of career options in the entertainments industry. I developed key skills for each step of the design process, from concepts to completion on site, gaining experience and having a lot of fun along the way! I would recommend this course to anyone who has a passion for designing and creating exciting experiences for all areas in the entertainments industry.” Millie Proud
Why Choose Us?
- Students are satisfied with this course! We scored 94 per cent for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018.
- The School of Visual Communication prides itself on a long-established national and international reputation. It consists of a range of courses that celebrate innovation and allow you to realise your creative ambitions.
- Your portfolio will be showcased to a number of potential employers through our home-grown and independent talent pool, We Grow Cherries, as well as during your graduate show.
- Live project partnerships include; Birmingham Repertory Theatre, Merlin Leisure, Live Nation and Casson Mann.
- Our end-of-year awards are sponsored and presented by high-profile names, with most award winners offered placements which have led to permanent employment.