Diagnostic Radiography – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years), Part Time (6 years)
Do you want a career in diagnostic radiography? Our degree is approved by the college of radiographers and you will spend time on placements within a variety of imaging departments to enhance your clinical experience.
You will develop specialist skills on this course by accessing our well-equipped x-ray room, wards, operating theatre, image viewing facilities and virtual body projection system. This will enable you to use specialist technology to produce diagnostic images of patients.
What’s covered in the course?
Your academic studies include subjects which form the core of diagnostic radiography practice and include the study of human anatomy and physiology, radiation physics and imaging technology. You will also study the social and psychological aspects of the needs of patients.
As you advance your knowledge of diagnostic radiography practice and the application of imaging technology to differing pathologies, you will develop analytical skills and will explore the research evidence that forms the basis of current and emergent practices.
In your final year you will develop your skills of applying research strategies to health and care practice, and will consolidate your clinical skills and knowledge that are necessary for your transition to registered practitioner status.
At least 50% of your time will be spent in clinical practice where you will develop the necessary practical skills and expertise that enable you to demonstrate radiographic practice, in a safe and competent manner.
“If we weren’t radiographers we would be detectives, our job is to find out what is going on… I was x-raying patients from the first hour of my first day.” Adam Robinson
Why Choose Us?
- High graduate employability rate – 96 per cent of our 2016 graduates went on to work or further study within six months of graduating, on an average starting salary of £22k (Unistats 2015/16)
- A well established provider – we are the largest training centre for diagnostic radiography in the Midlands region
- Study in our £71 million campus – that has recently been extended to provide the very best learning environment for our students
- Gain employability skills – at least 50 per cent of your time will be spent in clinical placement so that you can develop the practice skills necessary for employment
- Excellent links with industry – we work in partnership with the NHS
- We focus on you to provide a friendly, supportive environment so all our students get the most out of their time here
- Study abroad – our students are able to work abroad to enhance their skills and development as a part of our unique international travel scholarship programme. See where our Radiography students have visited recently!
- Student loan finance – have you already studied an undergraduate degree but would like to do a second one in Diagnostic Radiography? You may be eligible for funding.