Digital Media Computing – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years), Sandwich (4 years)
We’ve developed this multidisciplinary course to combine computing and digital media. This enables you to leave university as a versatile graduate with a mix of computing, technical and content creation skills.
You’ll study with support of the latest in digital media technology equipment. This includes digital TV studios, edit and dubbing suites.
Study with us so you’ll be prepared for a world seeking those able to develop the next generation of digital media products.
What’s covered in the course?
Our Digital Media Computing course is an intellectually challenging and highly rewarding programme that covers everything from coding to animation. It will prepare you to meet the professional and technical demands of industry.
In the first year you will learn underlying principles of computer science, as well as visual design and human computer interaction, bringing these together through a collaborative innovation project and taking part in our annual Innovation Fest. This is where students get together to solve society’s problems with creative technology. Previous projects have included medical assistance drones, accessible gaming controllers, and smart housing solutions. The event brings together students, academics and industry guests, so it’s a great way to have fun, build experience and network, and win prizes!
During the second and third year of study you will explore more in-depth the areas of web application development, digital media processing, media production and 3D modelling and animation. You will have opportunities to work on real world projects through a major group project in year two, as well as undertaking an individual project in the final year.
You will develop key transferable skills, such as teamwork, reflection and self-awareness. You’ll also gain analytical skills through coursework tasks, as well as enhancing your problem solving using a range of systems and technologies.
You will have the option to undertake an industrial placement after your second year, gaining valuable work experience, and on the course you’ll acquire skills in web technology, programming, animation, 3D modelling, video production, human-computer interaction and interface design to develop web and interactive digital media applications
This course is a unique blend of media and computing I could not find on any other course. It is challenging yet rewarding and provides me with a sense of accomplishment when assignments are completed. The broad range of the modules allows me to have a wide range of options when choosing my career path.. – Harvir Singh
Why Choose Us?
- Graduates from this programme have the computing and multimedia skills to apply the latest technologies, as well as the versatility needed to succeed in a constantly evolving, challenging industry.
- You will learn from an experienced team of academics and practitioners who offer not only academic expertise, but also current industry understanding and business acumen.
- You will be based at our City Centre Campus which houses cutting-edge facilities, including the largest University TV studio, within a purpose-built Media Centre at The Parkside Building.
- Creative network opportunities, multimedia events and guest speakers bring the insights, contacts and the realities of the media world to your studies.
- The School is established as one of the leading academies for Microsoft and Cisco Systems.
- The course involves project-based learning, which enables you to work in teams while developing web and multimedia applications and solving technical problems – as you would in the workplace.