Digital Media Technology – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years), Sandwich (4 years)
Digital Media development requires a comprehensive understanding of image, video and mixed reality processing. BSc (Hons) Digital Media Technology, aims to develop you with the versatile and rich combination of skills that will enable you to design and develop tomorrow’s digital media products.
You’ll have the opportunity to practice professional skills by delivering the course content in a project-driven and practice-like way, in specialist labs containing the latest hardware and software. Your skills will be further developed through the group project based module which take place in year two of the programme.
We also have well-established links with companies such as BBC, Microsoft and Cisco, ensuring that the programmes remain current and relevant to industry. The course also enables you to interact with potential employers by collaborating with industrial partners and participating in various events throughout the academic year.
Graduates will be equipped for careers related to media and computing. You could explore careers in multimedia development, web and interactive application development and multimedia content development.
You’ll also have the opportunity to take a sandwich placement year between your second and third year. This is highly recommend as it will give you an invaluable opportunity to hone your expertise, try out a potential career path and get relevant workplace experience that is valued by so many employers. The course is also part of the Erasmus scheme, which allows you to study abroad within the EU for a semester, normally during the second year of your course.
Our Digital Media Technology degree is part of the School of Computing and Digital Technology, located at the Millennium Point Building as part of the City Centre Campus, in the heart of Birmingham. Millennium Point was built as a focus for science, technology and education within Birmingham and the wider region, providing an excellent environment for exploring advanced technology.
The main thing that attracted me to the course was that it covered a wide range of disciplines which allowed me to expand my skillset. The course also had a business module which gave a good overview of the media industry. Irfan Vasin
Why Choose Us?
- Graduates from this programme will be equipped for careers related to media computing in roles such as: multimedia developer, web and interactive application developers, multimedia content developers and media technology specialist. Suitably qualified graduates should also be able to proceed to postgraduate study.
- You will learn from an experienced team of academics and practitioners who offer not only academic expertise, but also current industry understanding and business acumen.
- You will be based at our City Centre Campus in Millennium Point, which was built as a focus for science, technology and education within Birmingham and the wider region and provides an excellent context for exploring advanced technology.
- The School is established as one of the leading academies for Microsoft and Cisco Systems.
- The course involves project-based learning, which enables you to work in teams while developing web and multimedia applications and solving technical problems – as you would in the workplace.