Early Childhood Studies – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Are you passionate about providing children with the very best start in life? Our Early Childhood Studies BA (Hons) course seamlessly combines theory with practical experience, so that you can achieve your career goals and make a positive impact on young children’s lives.
What’s covered in the course?
The well-being of babies and young children is at the heart of this degree, which will prepare you to become a confident and competent advocate for children from birth to 5 years. Studying at our recently extended state-of-the-art £71 million City South Campus, you will have access to excellent facilities to enhance your understanding and knowledge.
You will gain a complete understanding of young children’s needs, how they learn, develop and grow and how their early experiences are so fundamentally important. You will also explore wider concepts to support your understanding such as social justice, social mobility and social responsibility.
As you progress through the course, you will develop your personal and professional skills so that after university you should be influential in developing practice, provision and policy, as well as resilient and self-assured as you progress in your career.
This course should present many rewarding opportunities for you to explore once you have graduated in many different UK institutions, such as schools, nurseries and charities. Our staff are dedicated to preparing you for the world of work and will help you to decide which role you want to pursue after graduating.
There will be opportunities for you to work, and learn, alongside a variety of professionals delivering services that support the wellbeing, development and learning needs of babies and young children, with this in mind you will have placement opportunities throughout the programme.
“I was surprised how interactive seminars are. Before I came to University, I thought every day would be lectures, but with Early Childhood Studies, most of our learning is through seminars. This is a great way to share ideas, challenge yourself and make friends with people on your course.”
Why Choose Us?
- Strong commitment to social justice and the rights of babies and young children, which you will be exposed to for best practice throughout the course
- High employability rate – we will make sure that you are ready for employment when graduating and will support you to gain experience in the areas you are most passionate about
- Located in the heart of Birmingham, you will love studying in such a diverse and vibrant city, both personally and professionally
- Study in our recently extended £71 million City South Campus – the perfect environment for you to learn, relax and enjoy the facilities available
- Strong links with industry – we can offer quality placement opportunities both locally and internationally, as well as the chance for you to network and develop your contacts
- Experienced staff – our tutors are experienced and active researchers in the field, which means you will always have access to the most up-to-date information and methods of working
- Accreditation is available for Early Years Educators who provide core competences throughout this course
- Enjoy a diverse and flexible learning environment – this course is open to both home and international students, including those who want to ‘Top Up’ an existing qualification such as a Foundation Degree