Engineering Research Degrees – PhD
Attendance Full Time, Part Time, Distance Learning
An engineering PhD can be a pathway to a career in a wide range of related jobs, including in management roles – or in the academic world. If you’re already in such a role, the PhD is a major piece of personal development, developing new knowledge and building skills for your next career step. Your engineering PhD study builds on our expertise and professional and industry networks.
We cover the major aspects of mechanical and electronic engineering and civil engineering. We are interested in interdisciplinary research building links to areas including the built environment, computing, health, law and others.
What’s covered in the course?
A PhD enables you to follow a programme of self-directed, independent study, supported by experienced supervisors who are themselves experts in their area. We may use industry experts to support some projects, and others may be run in full collaboration with an industry partner.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Research Practice prepares you for study at this level, as most find it a very different experience from previous taught courses. Topic-specific training and support is identified and provided by your supervision team and other experts as necessary.
Although you will be developing as an independent researcher, you will be supported both by your supervisors and the wider research community in the School, Faculty and University. There are regular opportunities for you to present and share your work with other research students and staff.
Why Choose Us?
- Expert staff supervisors, keen to help their students succeed
- Excellent links with industry, both to support your research and your career progression
- Research grounded in traditional areas of engineering but also keen to build cross-discipline links to shape future materials, technologies and products
- Encouragement and support for you to publish your work
- Opportunities to support and teach other students, including bringing your new research into their education
A range of specialist labs/workshops, software, facilities and working environments tailored to specific project needs