English for Academic Purposes (FCEAP) – Foundation Certificate
Attendance Full Time (Part 1 and 2: September to June), Full Time (Part 2 only: February to June)
Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes (FCEAP) is an accredited course for International and European students. It is designed to help you develop your general and academic English skills and to prepare you for successful study at a British university. It offers a wonderful opportunity to exchange opinions with students from different cultures and backgrounds.
Learning about the lives and experiences of other students in your class and throughout the University will broaden your views and help you think reflectively. This will give you many advantages in terms of personal, academic and professional development.
What’s covered in the course?
The FCEAP is carefully designed to consider your needs as a student studying a degree course in the UK. We regularly communicate with university course directors in order to gain information regarding changing assessment methods, so when necessary we can adjust our assessments to reflect changes in our Schools and Faculties.
The course has six modules. In the first semester you study Reading and Writing Development, Speaking and Communication Skills and Birmingham: Past and Present. In the second semester you study Listening for Academic Purposes, Reading and Writing for University and Speaking for University Purposes. The FCEAP offers varied learning environment and is taught by very experienced teachers who will also meet with you on an individual basis in one-to-one tutorials.
Assessments are designed to meet individual needs and increase confidence in using English, both in social and academic contexts.
Why Choose Us?
- FCEAP has an excellent pass rate
- FCEAP is a Foundation Certificate, so achievement is consistent with the national standard of awards
- The course is administered by the School of Education and Social Work, and is therefore governed by extensive quality assurance procedures
- The course is run over one or two semesters so you can enter the programme at the level most suited to your needs. Either entry point allows you plenty of time to get to know the University, the city and the local culture before starting your main degree programme
- FCEAP has a varied learning environment and there is a range of assessments to suit all learning styles, such as exams, essays, presentations and a group video project which you will organise and manage independently with members of your team
- assessments are designed to meet individual needs and increase confidence in using English, both in social and academic contexts
- Student support and pastoral care are important features of FCEAP and students can meet tutors in one-one tutorials throughout the programme