English Linguistics (Distance Learning) – MA
Attendance Distance Learning
Starting: October 2019, January 2020, April 2020, July 2020
The MA in English Linguistics is a flexible distance-learning programme. You can work at your own pace fitting your study around work and other commitments.
The programme is well established, having been introduced in 1992, but it continues to evolve. It’s now delivered via the Moodle virtual learning environment with interactive content being developed exclusively for MA students.
What’s covered in the course?
This programme will enable you to develop advanced analytical skills and in-depth linguistic knowledge, and to gain experience as an independent researcher.
It begins with the Language Description module, designed to give you confidence in working with the essential building blocks of linguistic analysis: grammar, morphology, and phonology. You’ll then study Data, Theory & Method, covering topics such as hypothesis testing, the role of linguistic theory, data collection, academic referencing and research ethics. There are optional modules too, covering topics such as sociolinguistics, second language acquisition, spoken discourse analysis, and the history of the English language. In choosing three of these modules you can tailor your studies to your individual interests and career aspirations. The final dissertation is a piece of original research on a topic of your choice.
One of our key strengths is that the programme is taught by leading authorities on the subjects covered. Our teaching staff are active researchers who, according to the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, publish world-leading journal articles, chapters and books. This research feeds directly into the MA learning materials.
You’ll be fully supported by a tutor assigned to you when you begin each module who can be contacted by email or telephone. There’s no requirement for you ever to attend the University, but there are ample opportunities for you to do so if you wish.
This is a staged qualification, meaning you can choose to exit with either a Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma or you can continue to the MA stage.
“The modules are diverse and very interesting yet challenging as well. The teaching staff are brilliant and easy to communicate with via email, phone and even face to face if you make an appointment. I love that the staff are not only approachable but they offer superb feedback on formal and informal assignments. They challenge you in order to draw out your creative side and produce high level of work. The course is well structured and the modules are broad so you’re covering a lot of different aspects of linguistics.” MA Linguistics graduate, 2016
Why Choose Us?
- The course is taught by leading authorities in the field. The 2014 Research Excellence Framework judged that 76.3 per cent of the books and articles written by School of English lecturers were either world-leading or internationally excellent, putting us in the top 20 English departments in the country.
- You’ll be given support and guidance from our dedicated team of staff throughout.
- The MA is delivered entirely through distance-learning with no requirement for you ever to attend the University.
- The course is designed for maximum flexibility, with a generous time limit of 6 months for each module (16 months for the dissertation) and a 5 year maximum enrolment period overall.
- Fees are charged on a modular basis as you progress through the course, with no up-front costs.
- This is a chance for you to study a subject you love at your own pace, anywhere in the world.