Film Technology and Visual Effects – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years), Sandwich (4 years)
BSc (Hons) Film Technology and Visual Effects, will provide you with a unique combination of technical, creative and production skills.
We’ll train you to become a versatile, adaptable and well-equipped graduate, with the technical and creative skills needed to perform a variety of roles within film and visual effects production. Designed to meet the industry’s need for highly-skilled, enthusiastic graduates, this course will help you learn how to negotiate challenges and adapt to different technical innovations.
You’ll have access to state of the art facilities including the University’s Parkside Media Centre, ensuring you get hands-on experience with digital film technology, digital film production, and VFX.
Our extensive course will secure you with the knowledge and practical experience needed for a thriving career in an innovative industry.
What’s covered in the course?
The film aspect of the course explores the capture and editing of live action video and audio elements, while the visual effects aspect of the course looks at the creation of digital elements, such as creatures and matte environments, and the use of compositing tools to combine these live action and digital elements together, to produce convincing visual effects shots.
You will focus on the fundamental mathematics, physics and technical concepts, examining the behaviour of sound and light, the simulation of fluids, cloth, hair and collisions, the digital manipulation of light and sound and more.
Upon graduation you could progress into a career as a video editor, cinematographer, CGI modeller, CGI animator, visual effects artist and compositor. The course has a particular focus on technical roles such as rigging, dynamic simulations, shader development and match moving.
My colleagues and lecturers are friendly and are always willing to help you – there has never been a time where I am not learning something new. Oliver Rossetti
Why Choose Us?
- You’ll work within our Centre for Digital Media Technology, using cutting-edge equipment, dedicated green screen studios and several editing stations (and much more).
- The course explores the fundamental technologies and physics of film and visual effects production, building connections between working with real light and sound and working with digital light, sound, video, geometry and dynamic simulations.
- You will plan and produce a range of film and visual effects productions, using industry-standard tools such as Nuke compositing software, Maya 3D modelling and animation software, a Milo motion control system, a permanent green screen studio and cinema-style camera rigs.
- The unique combination of technical knowledge and practical production experience makes our graduates more employable and able to move more quickly into key production roles.
- The course encourages you to engage with industry, allowing a number of flexible paths to gaining work experience, including basing selecting modules around work experience, taking a placement year and working on commercial productions within the University.