Food and Nutrition – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Our BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition degree has been designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to evaluate and analyse food in respect of nutrition, quality and safety, as well as protecting and promoting the health of the global population – which can lead to jobs as a nutritionist or food scientist. This course is taught at our recently extended £71 million campus in Edgbaston, Birmingham with state-of-the-art labs and kitchens, where you’ll explore topics such as food science, food safety and food production.
What’s covered in the course?
The course encompasses three distinctive themes:
- Food science, technology and analysis
- Food safety and quality
This enhances the career prospects of our students so they are well placed to consider employment in many aspects of food industry and food and nutrition research.
This will ensure that the needs of the local, national and international communities, food industry and public health sectors are addressed. In addition, our students will be well equipped for a career in the global and applied field of food and nutrition, where they will be required to deliver a professional, effective, innovative, competent and confident service to individuals, populations, industry and the public health sector.
The development of these skills and competencies is embedded in all the modules and are core to the learning and teaching strategies of this programme. We are placing great emphasis in supporting our students to develop their academic, professional and interpersonal skills in preparation for employment.
Evidence-based practical experience is embedded throughout the programme at all 3 levels. Such practical experience allows students to explore key insights into the discipline and gain relevant experimental and analytical skills important for food and nutrition scientists. In addition, a range of assessment methods across the programme will challenge and address their understanding as well as help develop a range of communication and professional skills developments.
Why Choose Us?
- The programme team have the passion, experience, knowledge and understanding to ensure excellence in the student learning journey
- We are developing overseas links and partnerships which may result in opportunities for students to learn with peers from different countries and to undertake appropriate study abroad opportunities
- The course is mapped against professional accreditation bodies such as The Institute of Food Science and Technology (IFST) and the Association for Nutrition (AfN)
- Our graduates will be able to use their skills and competencies portfolio as evidence of practice if they so wish to support their voluntary registration applications
- We encourage our graduate creativity, passion, commitment to support individuals, the food industry and public health sectors
If you have any questions about this course, please contact the programme leader/admissions tutor, Dr Huda Al-Kateb.
- Email: Huda.Al-Kateb@bcu.ac.uk
- Telephone: 0121 331 7077