Instrumental Performance – MMus / PgCert / PgDip
Attendance MMus - Full Time, Part Time PgCert - Part Time PgDip - Full Time, Part Time
Advance your skills as a performer with a postgraduate course in Instrumental Performance at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire.
Whether you’re a recent graduate or returning to study after a break, our postgraduate courses in Instrumental Performance provide you with advanced-level training in your principal study area, preparing you for a solo, chamber or orchestral career, alongside excellent opportunities to develop other skills relevant to a future career in the music profession.
These courses are open to students pursuing orchestral instruments, keyboard instruments and other solo instruments such as recorder, guitar and saxophone. There is also a Chamber Music route for string ensembles.
You’ll receive specialist tuition from leading UK and internationally renowned performers and teachers. In addition, you’ll enjoy regular performance opportunities, both within Departments and in concerts, as well as having the chance to participate in masterclasses led by distinguished guest artists.
You’ll have full access to our superb £57 million facilities, including our Concert Hall, 150-seat Recital Hall, our black box performance space known as The Lab, and more than 70 practice rooms, ensemble rooms and workshops; all acoustically designed to provide a music-making environment that is world class.
Subject to Updates
As part of BCU’s commitment to providing excellent student experience, the content and structure of this course is being refreshed to ensure that it continues to meet the highest educational standards. This page will be updated with the revised course documentation by 30 June 2019.
What’s covered in the course?
- Regular individual tuition in your Principal Study area from leading UK and internationally renowned performers and teachers.
- Regular departmental activities and access to masterclasses with distinguished visiting guest artists
- Frequent chances to perform, including solo, chamber and orchestral opportunities
- In PgDip and MMus, a core career development module designed to get you thinking about your future professional plans.
- In PgDip and MMus, the flexibility to choose from a broad menu of Professional Development modules designed to help you work towards achieving your personal career aspirations.
- In MMus, a core module designed to develop your skills as a researcher or informed practitioner.
- In PgCert, the ability to focus wholly on the Principal Study area.
- The possibility of transferring between PgCert, PgDip and/or MMus (as appropriate) once you have begun your studies (but before completion of your original course).
Why Choose Us?
At Royal Birmingham Conservatoire we provide a friendly and supportive environment in which you can pursue your postgraduate studies. This is a time when you need to think particularly carefully and strategically about the direction of your developing career as a musician. We therefore encourage you to be ambitious in pursuing your aspirations, and endeavour to provide you with the flexibility to mould your course to your individual needs, both within your Principal Study area and – for PgDip and MMus students – in complementary modules.