Interior Architecture and Design – MA
Attendance Full Time
Through encouraging and promoting experiential learning, the MA Interior Architecture and Design course embraces the truth that designing is a creative adventure.
This twelve-month programme will enable you to form an understanding and appreciation of theoretical, practical and professional issues that are informing the evolution of contemporary interior architecture and design professional practice.
What’s covered in the course?
On the MA Interior Architecture and Design programme you will explore the distinctive qualities associated with the interiors of inhabited architecture.
By looking at the cultural, practical and atmospheric aspects of interiors created by architects, artists and designers, as an innovator you will be able to strategically develop creative interfaces and determine how users will perceive and behave in the spaces that your are conceiving.
Making speculative work is an important aspect of the programme. As individuals you will establish your professional identity as autonomous creative practitioners by blending philosophy, artistry and practicality in order to compose an interior design scenario that is future-focused and personally and culturally meaningful. By exploring innovative practices embedded within your own design process, this reflective practice will act as a stimuli for you to challenge existing assumptions about interior design and push the international platform for the profession forwards into new and versatile directions.
A key aspect of the course is that it will encourage a spirit of ‘internationalisation’, which will contribute to the establishment of a culturally rich, vibrant and diverse learning studio environment. Fostering the ambition of ‘life long learning’, you will create a dynamic continual development plan. This will allow you to draw on the expertise and global networks associated with the institution, reflecting the full spectrum of opportunities that can help you to enrich and nurture your career. Previous postgraduate students on the programme have been employed at leading international architectural practices as architects, interior designers, or as design lecturers in further and higher education institutions, with the pathway to postgraduate Doctoral PhD study also opened up as a result.
Why Choose Us?
- The programme is dedicated to providing you with a dynamic range of quality postgraduate experiences and opportunities.
- Situated in the renowned Birmingham School of Architecture and Design, the MA Interior Architecture and Design postgraduate course offers a practice-led, transformational learning journey.
- Choice enables you to independently self-select modes of study within each of the modules that make up the programme.
- Interior architecture and design learning plans can be tailored to meet your academic and creative aspirations.
- The trans-disciplinary approach of the course allows you to pursue different orientations as designer, from the re-ordering and refurbishment of existing architecture to generating spatial interventions through creativity.
Latest course news
- MA Interior Design course results for 2017 were “outstanding” with every student rating the course at the highest possible level in all of the categories associated with the survey. These students have said that the course has exceeded their expectations.
- This year, we are particularly proud of our alumni – Dr Mohammad Mullaali , who has recently been awarded his PhD and is now mentoring three other alumni who are engaged in their own doctorial research at BCU. Mohammad is passionate about teaching and when he graduated from the MA Interior Design programme in 2010 and became a lecturer in Interior Design.
- In terms of their career journey, in June 2017, 100% of the fulltime students (that graduated in Sept 2016), posted on linkedin pages that they had each managed to realise their unique career goals and had secured full time employment as designers, art directors or senior managers.