Internal Audit Management and Consultancy – MSc
Attendance Full Time, Part Time, Distance Learning
Looking to study a Master’s in internal audit management degree in Birmingham? Our MSc Internal Audit and Consultancy Management course boasts a Route to Chartered Status from the IIA UK.
The internal audit profession formally began when the Institute of Internal Audit Inc. (IIA Inc.) was formed in the early parts of the 20th Century. Since that time the profession has developed extensively keeping pace with the demands placed on it by Board and Audit Committees in an ever changing and challenging world.
With the drive across the globe for integrated reporting to increase transparency, increased regulation such as the introduction of the Sarbanes Oxley Act in the US, and the general publics’ access to real time information, boards and their audit committees are ever more in need of independent and objective assurance and internal audit has a vital role to play in providing this.
The techniques and methods used by the internal audit profession have changed over the decades, from one which focused purely on financial risk and compliance style audits, which check procedures are being followed, to the current day where risk based auditing is seen as best practice across the globe. The Institute of Internal Auditors Inc. now boasts membership of over 180,000 across the globe and has recently developed its International Professional Practices Framework to include a mission statement ‘To enhance and protect organisational value by providing risk-based and objective assurance, advice and insight.’
It is this current landscape that drives this course’s over-riding philosophy which is:
To equip those working within or intending to join the internal audit profession with the conceptual understanding, knowledge and skills to contribute positively to the organisations that they work for.
What’s covered in the course?
The learning and teaching methods are designed to encourage and support independent learning.
Students are provided with a guided pathway through the learning resources, which are provided on the Virtual Learning Environment ‘Moodle’. These resources include (but are not limited to):
- Quizes, with feedback
- External professional published articles, journals, standards
- Practical exercises to apply knowledge
Wherever possible real life case studies will be used to illustrate the learning.
Face-to-face delivery (full time and part time block release students) will be delivered in an intensive week at the very start of study and where possible the cohorts will be together. This approach will help the different cohorts of students to meet and network, thereby creating greater opportunities for peer support. The week will predomionantly be in the form of workshops of group activities allowing students to explore and apply the understanding they have gained from prior reading provided on Moodle and be given formative feedback by the lecture team which can be used to help with the assessment.
Where the assessment is an exam, 2 intensive days will also be provided which is timeed to best support completion of the exam. During these session the areas of the syllabus which students have found challenging will be covered as well as practicing exam quesitons both in groups and individually.
Distance learning students will have access to all the materials through Moodle. During the intensive week the output from group activities will also be added to Moodle, allowing distance learning students to compare their own output with those of the group.
All students also have access to the on-line disucssion forum where they can interact with each other and with the tutors on a group basis, and individual and group tutorials are also available by appointment.
Why Choose Us?
- We are an established team with over 20 years’ experience of delivering courses accredited by the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) and the Internal Auditing Educations Partnerships (IAEP). Find out more about the programme here.
- We now boast a Route to Chartered Status from the IIA UK
- The Centre prides itself on its extremely high pass rates.
- The lecture team is supported by guest speakers, who regularly visit to provide valuable practitioner insight.
- We get to know our students as individuals and support their specific needs, or signpost them to other areas of the University that can provide additional, complimentary support.
- The delivery is flexible so you can choose full-time or part-time with block release and distance learning as options. This means you can fit your studies alongside work and personal commitments.