Jazz – MMus / PgCert / PgDip
Attendance MMus - Full Time, Part Time PgCert - Part Time PgDip - Full Time, Part Time
The recent launch of our Eastside Jazz Club has helped consolidate the integral role that Royal Birmingham Conservatoire has to play in the city. While Birmingham’s thriving jazz scene has been established over many years, our bespoke venue strengthens the promise of exciting future developments in this area.
It is in this context that we offer our taught postgraduate courses in Jazz. Designed for recent graduates and suitably qualified mature students, these programmes provide high quality advanced-level tuition, enabling you to specialize either as a Jazz performer or instigator.
These courses also provide excellent opportunities for you to develop other skills relevant to a future career in the music profession.
Subject to Updates
As part of BCU’s commitment to providing excellent student experience, the content and structure of this course is being refreshed to ensure that it continues to meet the highest educational standards. This page will be updated with the revised course documentation by 30 June 2019.
What’s covered in the course?
- Regular individual specialist tuition from professional jazz musicians active on today’s scene.
- Emphasis on the art of improvisation.
- Regular opportunities to rehearse and perform with small and large jazz ensembles.
- Priority access to guest masterclass sessions.
- The chance to develop a distinctive musical voice.
- In PgDip and MMus, a core career development module designed to get you thinking about your future professional plans.
- In PgDip and MMus, the flexibility to choose from a broad menu of Professional Development modules designed to help you work towards achieving your personal career aspirations.
- In MMus, a core module designed to develop your skills as a researcher or informed practitioner.
- In PgCert, the ability to focus wholly on the Principal Study area.
- The possibility of transferring between PgCert, PgDip and/or MMus (as appropriate) once you have begun your studies (but before completion of your original course).
Why Choose Us?
In addition to the fact that we have a very lively Jazz department, at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire we provide a friendly and supportive environment in which you can pursue your postgraduate studies. This is a time when you need to think particularly carefully and strategically about the direction of your developing career as a musician. We therefore encourage you to be ambitious in pursuing your aspirations, and endeavour to provide you with the flexibility to mould your course to your individual needs, both within your Principal Study area and – for PgDip and MMus students – in complementary modules.