Jewellery and Silversmithing – HND
Attendance Full Time (2 years)
Based within a stimulating and dynamic environment, the School of Jewellery’s HND course is unique within the UK and has an excellent reputation within the industry, with our students and graduates employed at all levels, locally and internationally.
As an HND student, you will be working on live, collaborative and customer-facing projects, broadening your experience through our industry-focussed curriculum. Working at authentic jewellers’ benches, you will develop traditional skills alongside knowledge of contemporary cutting-edge technology.
What’s covered in the course?
Our course will immerse you in the world of jewellery and silversmithing as you create pieces in precious and non-precious metals. You will produce pieces by hand and by mechanical means, with a particular focus on manipulating metal.
The practical, design-led nature of the course gives you plenty of opportunity for hands-on workshop experience to hone your skills. You’ll develop practical experience of materials and tools, alongside techniques in drawing and model making to develop your design processes.
You’ll have access to the latest equipment such as laser welders and 2D and 3D CAD software packages, as well as casting and plating workshops.
Dedicated staff with professional experience will offer advice, support and industry contacts. You’ll be encouraged to enter national and international competitions, and you’ll also have fantastic opportunities to work on live projects with industry.
Field trips and study visits add colour and relevance to your studies, and support an understanding of commercial jewellery manufacturing environments.
You’ll study at our internationally-renowned School of Jewellery, in the heart of Birmingham’s famous Jewellery Quarter, where much of today’s jewellery is still made. The historical facade of our Vittoria Street building conceals a contemporary environment, including workshops, a specialist library, a state-of-the-art technology hub, an atrium gallery and an exhibition space.
Why Choose Us?
This course is called a franchise programme, which means that most of the teaching (in the first two years) takes place in College but that everything about it is assessed and approved by the University. It is a BCU programme taught in a supportive College setting.
- Students are satisfied with this course! We scored 96.3 per cent for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018.
- You are a welcome to come on to BCU’s campus any time you like to access our library, sports facilities, computer rooms and speak to any of our staff about your studies.
- Your teaching will be based on campus at the College, which means that you will also have access to support from College tutors and advisors.
- Lots of our students find that the additional support in College helps them build confidence and even more skills ahead of transferring to study with on campus with the University.
- You will still be incredibly close to BCU, located in Birmingham and easily able to move between the two places.
- Founded in 1890, our internationally-renowned School of Jewellery is the largest in Europe, located in the heart of Birmingham’s famous Jewellery Quarter. An estimated 40 per cent of British jewellery is still made here today. Being situated within this wonderful environment you will gain contacts, inspiration and experience.
- The HND course has an excellent reputation for producing highly employable graduates with a practical understanding of the needs of the industry.
- Our well-equipped studio workshops offer a laser welder, contemporary stone-setting equipment with magnification and a dedicated CAD facility, using the latest relevant CAD packages to enhance the traditional techniques and hand skills you will learn.
- An opportunity to showcase your work to industry at a trade fair in Birmingham gives you the chance to get noticed, make valuable connections and even gain employment.
- Sponsorship and support from associated companies gives the course industry relevance and insight, supporting the reputation of the HND and endorsing your qualification.