Journalism – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Get practical, professional preparation for a career in journalism with our BA (Hons) Journalism degree course. You’ll get the chance to develop the skills you’ll need to cover stories for print, digital, TV and radio, as well as exploring the global impact of journalism on audiences. You’ll be armed with a mobile reporting kit to give you a chance to work as a real reporter from day one.
We pride ourselves on teaching creative, contemporary journalism underpinned by traditional values and skills. That means learning the core media and communication skills that every working reporter needs before you specialise in an area that interests you.
You’ll be challenged academically – often by some of the industry’s leading names – and you’ll be expected to undertake meaningful work experience placements in media environments, and work on live stories, learning how to craft a story in a way that engages the audience.
By the time you graduate, you’ll be a thinking journalist with a specialism in news, broadcasting, features, or design. You’ll also be adaptable to the changes that the industry faces. Our graduates have gone on to work for Sky, BBC, Trinity Mirror and the Express & Star. Others have scooped prestigious awards at the Midlands Media Awards while still studying.
What’s covered in the course?
Based in Birmingham City University’s £62 million Parkside Building – you can take the first steps to a career in journalism.
Our BA (Hons) Journalism course is delivered by industry experts from broadcast, print and digital, providing a strong foundation for a professional career.
The Live Newsroom modules offer an opportunity to apply practical mobile reporting skills in a real-world environment for platforms including TV, radio, print and digital platforms. Our strong links with key journalism organisations means you’ll also get the chance to work on live briefs as well as producing content for our award-winning Birmingham Eastside website.
Teaching is delivered in our industry-standard facilities, as well as on location thanks to our focus on mobile reporting. Our newsroom media hub also allows for collaborative work as part of the wider Birmingham City University journalism community.
By tackling real stories, you will quickly develop a sense of the impact reporting can have. Through our Global and Community Impact modules there will be a chance to undertake placements as well as embed yourself within communities to tackle key issues in real depth.
The focus on innovation and entrepreneurship will also encourage students to think critically about the journalism landscape, creating products and real brands to identify new opportunities.
Why Choose Us?
- Industry-standard facilities including six radio studios, four TV studios, the largest free-standing green screen in Europe, edit suites, music production studios, a newsroom media hub, and photography studios.
- You’ll receive a mobile journalism kit on arrival, allowing you to learn cutting edge skills across multiple platforms and experience the thrill of live reporting from day one.
- Teaching by active journalists who are industry-leading specialists in their field, including data journalist and author Paul Bradshaw, VR and 360 expert Sarah Jones, hyperlocal reporting award-winner Ross Hawkes and former News Anchor for Sky News, Marverine Duffy.
- The course’s experimentation ethos means you’ll learn to push the creative boundaries to tell stories to a range of real audiences in a new and innovative ways.
- The chance to see your work published on the award-winning Birmingham Eastside platform.
- A range of guest speaker masterclasses from across the journalism industry. Previous sessions have been delivered by editors and reporters from the likes of the BBC, Trinity Mirror, Twitter and Google.