Landscape Architecture – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Want to learn how to design the outside world? This Landscape Architecture degree course will help you to gain real industry exposure and work on a wide range of exciting briefs. The course focuses on offering experience through practice, which will enhance your chances of securing a role after you graduate.
Landscape Architecture is the design of the world outside, as a combination of art, utility and natural systems. The aim is to create rich, positive experiences and to provide designed environments, which engage users with character and a sense of place.
Through guided exploration of personal design and research process, you will explore and unwrap many layers to reveal the unlimited storyboard of design options that our landscape presents.
What’s covered in the course?
Covering all aspects of landscape architecture, our course is fully recognised and accredited by the Landscape Institute (LI) and supported by a leading design team in its field.
You’ll work in a design studio culture, which mimics real-world creative practice for landscape architects and prepares you for your future career.
Experience on live local sites and project briefs in landscape studios will develop your design creativity and hone your professional practice skills. Placements and competitions will give you fantastic opportunities. There are also chances to compete for industry connected awards.
You’ll have the chance to be part of collaborative architecture and design initiatives within the School of Architecture that give you the chance to work on a diverse variety of live projects. Past examples include: explorations in timber construction in the Wyre Forest, communicating with the public about what they really want from design for Stirchley High Street in Birmingham and implementation of a viewing structure to observe wetland ecology at Henbury Ponds.
You’ll also have the opportunity to attend lectures and take part in workshops from a large variety of international and award winning professionals. Previous guest speakers have included Martha Schwartz, Andrew Grant, Andrew Wilson, Jeppe Aagard Anderson, Neil Porter, Chris Beardshaw and Kim Wilkie.
You’ll be based in our multi-million pound City Centre Campus within our Parkside Building, where you will have access to digital studios and 3D design workshops. The proximity of the newly built Eastside Park provides inspiration to your studies, introducing a strong example of contemporary civic space and park design.
Why Choose Us?
- The course is fully recognised and accredited by the Landscape Institute, allowing you to work towards full UK chartered membership.
- You’ll gain real industry experience, working on a wide range of briefs, from broad strategic scale, down to detailed design for construction.
- Our connections with the region’s best landscape architecture practices give you unrivalled work experience while studying and helps you secure employment after graduation.
- 91 per cent of leavers from the School were in employment or further study, according to a recent survey.
- Birmingham School of Architecture and Design is highly respected and has a rich history of providing education and opportunities. It celebrated its centenary in 2009.