Law – LLB (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 Years), Sandwich (4 Years), Part Time (5 Years)
Looking for law courses in Birmingham? Our LLB Law degree allows you to take a year-long placement in the legal sector, which could see you travelling to America.
Birmingham City University’s School of Law is recognised for producing knowledgeable, practical and ethical legal professionals and lawyers.
Taking both a national and international perspective, the course provides a deep understanding of modern law practices, taught by an experienced and enthusiastic team of legal professionals.
What’s covered in the course?
You will learn key skills such as critical thinking, analysis, negotiation and advocacy and also have the option to apply for a year-long placement in a legal environment and/or complete a third year placement module.
Your learning will enable you to develop the skills and attributes to become a legal professional with independent learning skills.
We aim to enable you to develop a critical awareness of the role of law in influencing social change, as well as individual and corporate behaviour. We will equip you with the skills and knowledge to make a difference in issues of fairness, equality and access to justice.
Why Choose Us?
- Students are satisfied with our courses! Our Law courses scored 90 per cent for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018.
- This degree course is accredited by the Joint Academic Stage Board (representing the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Bar Standards Board). This means that the course is designed to be as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of law, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the legal world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course.
- Our renowned American Legal Practice placement offers you the chance to apply to undertake an internship in the United States.
- We have strong links with law firms and companies based right here in Birmingham, which allow us to host guest speakers from industry regularly.
- Our relationship with the Birmingham Law Society has allowed students to work on a variety of exciting pro bono projects with them.
- All of our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- You will have the chance to join our nationally recognised Mooting Society, as well as our Student Law Society and Student Debating Society. All three provide extracurricular opportunities for you to practise, develop and enhance your skills.
- Our Virtual Solicitors’ Office gives you the opportunity to practise your law skills in an authentic work setting.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s legal district, one of the largest in the UK.
- Birmingham City University has just launched the UK’s first Centre for Brexit Studies, researching all aspects of the UK’s vote to leave the EU, including the impact it has on domestic law and legislation.