Law with a Foundation Year – LLB (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (4 Years), Sandwich (5 Years)
Looking for a law foundation degree in Birmingham? Our LLB (Hons) Law with a Foundation Year course has lower entry requirements and can lead to a full undergraduate qualification.
The course is a four year course with the option of undertaking an additional year on a yearlong placement. This course has been specifically designed to allow students who do not meet the Birmingham City University entry requirements for our standard LLB course to undertake additional level 3 study designed to ensure they are successful on their chosen degree course.
What’s covered in the course?
The foundation year is designed to equip students with a range of academic skills in addition to legal knowledge and practice to successfully progress through the LLB course or one of its associated LLB pathways. During the duration of the foundation year students will be introduced to the law and the role that it plays in society, the methods employed for effective legal learning, as well as experience our approach to clinical legal education in a simulated law environment.
Teaching for the foundation is conducted in small classes and there is a high degree of interactivity with a tutor as well as peers and engagement is encouraged. There will be opportunities in each module to receive formative feedback to enhance learning as well as a wide variety of assessment.
After successful completion of the foundation year students’ progress to study undergraduate level LLB foundations of legal knowledge together with a choice of optional modules.
Learning is facilitated through engagement with real and authentic problems and challenges to give students the opportunity to apply and synthesise the theoretical and practical aspects of the discipline of law to reach effective, practice-led solutions.
Key employability skills are embedded within the learning and teaching, and we provide additional careers development opportunities through a course of guest speakers, pro bono and placement opportunities which offer a practical experience of the world of work. Our highly acclaimed, nationally recognised, Mooting Society, our Student Legal Society and Student Debating Society also provide extra-curricular opportunities to practise, develop and enhance the transferable skills developed whilst on this course.
The LLB (Hons) course provides a knowledge-led and practice-based education in English Law, delivered by a team of academics which includes internationally recognised researchers and respected former professional practitioners. Not only is it relevant for those aiming for a career in professional practice but also those seeking to gain essential transferable skills necessary for an alternative career.
Why Choose Us?
- This course is designed to progress students who fall below normal entry requirement levels on to full Undergraduate degrees.
- This degree course is accredited by the Joint Academic Stage Board (representing the Solicitors Regulation Authority and the Bar Standards Board). This means that the course is designed to be as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of law, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the legal world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course.
- Our renowned American Legal Practice placement offers you the chance to apply to undertake an internship in the United States.
- We have strong links with law firms and companies based right here in Birmingham, which allow us to host guest speakers from industry regularly.
- Our relationship with the Birmingham Law Society has allowed students to work on a variety of exciting pro bono projects with them.
- All of our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- You will have the chance to join our nationally recognised Mooting Society, as well as our Student Law Society and Student Debating Society. All three provide extracurricular opportunities for you to practise, develop and enhance your skills.
- Our Virtual Solicitors’ Office gives you the opportunity to practise your law skills in an authentic work setting.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s legal district, one of the largest in the UK.
- Birmingham City University has just launched the UK’s first Centre for Brexit Studies, researching all aspects of the UK’s vote to leave the EU, including the impact it has on domestic law and legislation.