Marketing (Advertising and Public Relations) – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 Years), Sandwich (4 Years), Part Time (5 Years)
Looking to study for a degree in public relations? Our BA Marketing, Advertising and PR degree is recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing, and we have our own in-house marketing and advertising agency.
Covering all of the major disciplines in the creative sector, this programme allows you to develop the skills needed in today’s complex media environment.
Part of a suite of six interrelated degrees, you will get the chance to develop additional specialist skills in Advertising, Public Relations as well as Marketing, helping you to fulfil your career aspirations. This flexibility coupled with innovative extra curriculum activities mean you take control of your learning and your career.
Tailor your Marketing Degree
Our suite of Marketing programmes will enable you to tailor your interests to a specific area.
You can switch to a named pathway (or route in the case of the professional practice version) after the first year, as all level 4 modules are common to all courses. On successful completion of this level, you will be able to choose a specified degree pathway or route from the following list:
What’s covered in the course?
This degree allows you to gain the skills, knowledge and understanding demanded by employers. Combining academic theory and practice based learning, you will develop your creativity, professional skills and strategic marketing knowledge. Taught by academics who also have outstanding industry experience, you will undertake interactive lectures and seminars that bring marketing principles to life.
This course is also fully recognised by Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). This helps to ensure content remains fresh, relevant and full of key industry insight making you industry-ready the second you graduate. Plus you receive the maximum possible exemptions from the CIM Professional Diploma Our alignment with the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) ensures our course content remains fresh, relevant and full of key industry insight making you industry-ready the second you graduate.
As one of six marketing degrees this course is distinct in that it offers you a set of pathways that you can choose from irrespective of the programme that you entered on. This allows you to develop additional specialist skills of your choice and career aspirations, alongside the core underpinning market concepts you will need in practice.
Why Choose Us?
- This degree course is aligned with the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of marketing, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the business world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course.
- Recognising the global scope of marketing, all our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- You’ll learn from industry experienced staff, and have the chance to network with fantastic guest speakers year-round. Our excellent links with Birmingham businesses mean everything about our course is linked to the constantly evolving marketing sector.
- Don’t meet the entry criteria? Our Foundation Year programmes offer a route to a full undergraduate degree at a lower entry tariff.
- We teach by using real business scenarios, so you’ll get the chance to draft marketing plans for actual companies, create marketing material and gain practical experience both within the University and with industry contacts.
- We have our own student-run, in-house marketing agency, The Link, where you can sharpen your skills with briefs and projects from leading businesses and organisations, such as Edgbaston Cricket Ground, Serco and Cure Leukaemia.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK.
- All of our team have an open door policy offering drop-in tutorials to make sure you get as much advice as you need, when you need it, to get the most out of your time here.