Marketing (Professional Practice) – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 Years)
Want to become a marketing professional? Our BA (Hons) Marketing (Professional Practice) course allows you to take a year-long placement in industry during your final year of study.
Designed to fast track your professional development, this course teaches you the marketing skills you need to succeed. Our course mixes theory with practice, and in your final year you’ll combine study with a paid work placement, gaining first-hand experience in the marketing sector.
What is a Professional Practice degree?
Standard undergraduate degrees typically take three years of study to complete. At Birmingham City Business School we also offer sandwich degrees, which are four years in length and incorporate a year-long placement in industry during your third year.
Professional Practice degrees, however, combine the merits of both of these approaches in one degree, allowing you to complete your full degree and your year-long placement all within the standard three year period. Upon successful completion of your second year, you will embark on an industry placement for your third and final year. We have a dedicated team who will help you secure a placement directly related to your degree and career aspirations.
As a Professional Practice student, you complete the same number of modules and credit as a standard degree except now your learning, teaching and assessments will be related directly to the real world experience you gain on placement. During your placement year you will be allocated a placement tutor and your practice based learning will be supported by some block teaching at the University supported by on-line learning activities.
The Professional Practice pathway is perfect for you if you want the benefit of a placement year, but want your degree to be completed within three years.
What’s covered in the course?
Working in a real job role will give you the skills and experience you will need for your full-time career. It has helped our former students gain roles with the likes of Unilever, the Royal Bank of Scotland and Disney. Our alignment with the CIM ensures our course content remains fresh, relevant and full of key industry insight.
We teach by using real business scenarios, so you will get the chance to draft marketing plans for actual companies, work on business case studies and gain work experience both within the University and with one of our industry contacts.
Why Choose Us?
- Students are satisfied with our courses! Our Marketing courses scored 92 per cent for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018.
- This degree course is aligned with the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- Our innovative Professional Practice route is a fast-track degree which enables you to complete your third and final year while enjoying the benefits of a year-long work placement. This allows you to gain valuable real-life experience in industry and embark on your career a year earlier than a traditional sandwich degree.*
- Recognising the global scope of marketing, all our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- You’ll learn from industry experienced staff, and have the chance to network with fantastic guest speakers year-round. Our excellent links with Birmingham businesses mean everything about our course is linked to the constantly evolving marketing sector.
- Don’t meet the entry criteria? Our Foundation Year programmes offer a route to a full undergraduate degree at a lower entry tariff.
- We teach by using real business scenarios, so you’ll get the chance to draft marketing plans for actual companies, create marketing material and gain practical experience both within the University and with industry contacts.
- We have our own student-run, in-house marketing agency, The Link, where you can sharpen your skills with briefs and projects from leading businesses and organisations, such as Edgbaston Cricket Ground, Serco and Cure Leukaemia.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK.
- All of our team have an open door policy offering drop-in tutorials to make sure you get as much advice as you need, when you need it, to get the most out of your time here.