Media and Communication – HND
Attendance Full Time (2 years)
This course offers an inspiring introduction to the production, theoretical and professional aspects of media. It gives you a solid and respected platform from which you can progress to further study or present yourself as a competent and credible candidate for employment in the media and communication industries.
What’s covered in the course?
We strongly believe in the practical application of theory to real-life situations. We are fortunate to have very strong links with employers in the media industry, who see great value in our approach.
Modules you study include Broadcast Production, Research Methods and Academic Skills, History and Structure of the Media, Media texts and Cultural Contexts, and Professional Studies, in which Birmingham Metropolitan College will support you in securing a two-week placement in a media production business.
Your studies cover key aspects of audio, the moving image, journalism, and television studio practice.
You explore broadcast journalism, photography and photojournalism, radio features and documentary television production, as well as television drama and film studies.
You focus on future employment in a Career Development workshop. You also gain the crucial research and academic techniques to enable you to effectively source, collate and analyse information.
Why Choose Us?
This course is called a franchise programme, which means that most of the teaching (in the first two years) takes place in College but that everything about it is assessed and approved by the University. It is a BCU programme taught in a supportive College setting.
- You are a welcome to come on to BCU’s campus any time you like to access our library, sports facilities, computer rooms and speak to any of our staff about your studies.
- Your teaching will be based on campus at the College, which means that you will also have access to support from College tutors and advisors.
- Lots of our students find that the additional support in College helps them build confidence and even more skills ahead of transferring to study with on campus with the University.
- You will still be incredibly close to BCU, located in Birmingham and easily able to move between the two places.
- Delivered at one of our highly regarded partner institutions, Birmingham Metropolitan College, the course is managed, maintained and monitored by the University.
- A placement allows you to absorb the day-to-day realities of a media production business.
- Gain from the experience, close support and encouragement of expert staff.
- Share all the facilities, contacts and advantages of a Birmingham City University student, and feel part of a dynamic, creative and enquiring media production community.
- Your HND qualification gives you direct entry to the second year of our BA (Hons) Media and Communication course at the University, with a choice of eight specialist routes. Close working between the College and the University ensures that you have covered much of the same content as our first-year BA (Hons) Media and Communication students.
of an HND in Media and Communication.