Media Production – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Launch your career in the fast paced media industry, with our BA (Hons) Media Production degree. Prepare to become ‘industry-ready’ as you learn from guest speakers and industry experts. Make useful contacts and get a head start with your work placements and gain professional skills as you use our industry-standard facilities to create your media content. If you wish to make your mark in the media world, then this could be the course for you.
BA (Hons) Media Production develops the key skills you’ll need to enter the profession, alongside a range of transferable skills, which will help you gain employment in a range of careers. Previous School of Media graduates have gone onto employment in careers such as researchers, producers, editors, reporters and many more!
Highly regarded across the creative sector, our school of Media has fantastic links with industry, thanks to our blend of technical and academic studies – meaning your learning will always be relevant and up to date with current media industry practices.
What’s covered in the course?
You’ll create your TV content in our four industry-standard TV studios, learning about all the important roles as you go. You’ll learn how to shoot single camera and edit on Adobe Premiere and Avid suites and develop the technical and personal skills you’ll need to operate a TV studio effectively. You’ll also learn how to develop and pitch your own ideas, a necessary skill in today’s competitive industry.
When you work in our enviable complex of six radio studios, you’ll be getting to grips with how to operate a studio, present a show, record interviews, and use digital technology to edit and mix sound. As progress through the course, you’ll put together music radio shows, short features and podcasts, with the ultimate aim of running a live radio station at the University.
A truly stimulating course, which will immerse you in the practical aspects of programme-making and content creation You’ll have ample opportunity to make documentaries, dramas, music shows, and studio programmes for both television and radio.
Throughout your time with us, you’ll be supported by academic staff who have years of experience in the broadcasting sector, such as award-winning former BBC producer Vanessa Jackson, and internationally recognised radio documentary producer, Sam Coley. You’ll also be taught by visiting lecturers who still work in industry, widening your knowledge and experience of the sector.
Why Choose Us?
- Work on a live production from the very start! You’ll produce content in radio and television, reaching audiences across Birmingham.
- Learn in our £62 million Parkside building, home to our industry standard television and radio studios.
- Our broadcast-quality digital radio studios are supported by the latest audio production tools and are used by media companies who also work with our students as guest lecturers and on their joint projects.
- You’ll be taught by award-winning academic staff who continue to work in industry, and have an accomplished track record in television and radio production.
- Gain invaluable insight, and contacts from your two (or more) industry placements.
- You’ll have the opportunity to make media abroad on a specialised field trip, or choose to study with an overseas partner.