Medical Ultrasound – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Start your journey to a highly rewarding profession as a sonographer with our BSc (Hons) Medical Ultrasound course. As the first university to offer an undergraduate course in Medical Ultrasound, you can rest assured that you will be learning from experienced practitioners and a proven course structure that will successfully prepare you for a fulfilling career.
As a sonographer, you will produce detailed medical images, interpret them and at the same time provide support and communicate your findings with patients in your care. The work of a sonographer can be very rewarding and your clinical expertise will be sought after in a range of medical settings such as hospital imaging departments, maternity units, doctor’s surgeries, community clinics and private sector ultrasound clinics.
What’s covered in the course?
Our Medical Ultrasound course will enable you to develop the core skills of a sonographer such as care and communications, technical skills and clinical knowledge to make an accurate diagnosis.
Your skills will be developed through real-life work placements, lectures and seminars in the classroom held by experienced staff who are practicing or former sonographers or radiographers, independent study time, e-learning and ultrasound simulators within our recently extended £71 million City South Campus.
A variety of learning and teaching methods will be used for your development into a technically competent, caring and knowledgeable sonographer. It is essential to the practice that you respect diversity, ensure equality and use a sound understanding of legal, ethical and professional issues to positively impact on care scenarios and delivery.
Please note that ‘sonographer’ is not currently a protected title in the UK and, at this present time, graduates will NOT be eligible to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council, although it is hoped that this will become a possibility in the future. For this reason, employment may not be possible in certain NHS trusts and some private sector organisations, although many organisations already employ sonographers from non-traditional backgrounds.
Why Choose Us?
- We are the leading centre for ultrasound imaging, diagnostic radiography and radiotherapy in the West Midlands
- We are the first university in the UK to offer an undergraduate programme in medical ultrasound, providing students with complete confidence in a successful career after graduating
- Experienced staff – our lecturers are all either practising sonographers or former sonographers, and you will have first-hand access to their knowledge and experiences
- We boast strong links with local clinical ultrasound departments such as United Birmingham Hospitals, Birmingham Women’s Hospital, City Hospital Birmingham, Wolverhampton Royal Hospital, Russells Hall Hospital and North Staffordshire Hospitals
- Study in our £71 million campus – our City South Campus, where you will be studying, has recently expanded to include two state-of-the-art Ultrasound imaging suites, to guarantee you the very best environment to learn and develop
- Based in the heart of Birmingham, you will experience a truly vibrant and diverse culture which will benefit you personally and professionally, to provide you with quality experience and skills needed once you graduate.