Photography – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
On our BA (Hons) Photography course will develop a creative, professional identity and signature style by combining technique, theory and ethical practice with experimentation.
You will explore contemporary photographic practice, including documentary, moving image, landscape, portrait and fine art photography, gaining a rounded knowledge of these varied and exciting disciplines.
Collaboration with other disciplines is encouraged, developing new ideas and connections with subjects such as graphic communication and film and animation. The course will show you how creative, documentary and arts-based photographers can become commercially successful in diverse careers from galleries and publishing to advertising campaigns.
What’s covered in the course?
You will learn through practice, by developing confidence as a contemporary photographer. Your learning will be informed by developing a deeper understanding of current photographic practice, from commercial briefs, to publishing, exhibiting, editorial and photojournalism.
You will learn from award-winning staff with international reputations and a wealth of industry experience, having worked for clients such as the BBC, the Brit Awards, Studio Wayne McGregor, British Telecom, Adidas, Channel 4, Condé Nast, The Guardian, Hyundai, Liverpool FC, Marie Claire, Microsoft, The Sunday Times Magazine, Tesco, The Daily Telegraph, the Royal Society of Arts, Tate Britain and the Royal Opera House.
There is also a dedicated technical support team and exceptional facilities situated within the City Centre Campus. These include industry-standard photographic studios, darkrooms, television studios, editing suites, a giant green screen studio and an extensive Hires and Loans department.
We will help you to collaborate both within the University (for example, with the Fashion, Conservatoire, Acting or Product Design courses) as well as externally, with live briefs for real clients. You will also have the opportunity to study abroad for part of the course, or to go on trips to destinations such as New York, Berlin and Paris.
All of this, combined with our innovative course structure, has led to us being recognised by Creative Skillset. This award recognises that we are a centre of excellence, teaching industry standards, and equipping students with the skills and knowledge that employers look for. We also have exceptional levels of external engagement, with visiting lectures given by nationally and internationally-recognised photographers, as well as having numerous links with industry, workshops, seminars, masterclasses, careers advice, portfolio reviews, mentorships and placements.
In an environment of imagination and experimentation, we will nurture your talent and help you to develop into an employable and creative photographer.
“My time at the School was a great training ground to learn and develop the necessary skills to transfer into a creative career. The lecturers have the ability to help mould creative ideas into academic projects, and provide research direction along the way, which produces creative fuel and inspires self-initiated learning.” Nathan Spencer, Photography BA (Hons) graduate
Why Choose Us?
- Students are satisfied with this course! We scored 96 per cent for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018.
- The School of Visual Communication prides itself on a long established national and international reputation for inter-disciplinary practice. All our courses celebrate innovation and allow you to realise your creative ambitions.
- Your portfolio will be showcased to potential employers through our home-grown and independent talent pool We Grow Cherries, as well as during your graduate show and the London shows that we participate in.
- You will be taught by tutors who are still practising within the industry and can help you to gain a foot hold in the profession.
- You will have access to some of the best media facilities of any university in Britain.
- Our course has produced numerous award-winning students, locally, nationally and internationally.
- We allow students to explore a range of related careers, such as retouchers, filmmakers, creative directors, picture editors or continuing education (such as an MA or PhD).
- We have won the AOP student photographer of the year for 2015 and 2016.