Physical Education and School Sport – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
Gain a thorough understanding of physical education (PE) in schools and wider communities with our new Physical Education and School Sport degree. We’ll develop your teaching, learning and leadership skills, enabling you to become a highly employable expert on PE and school sport.
What’s covered in the course?
This PE and school sport teacher training course encompasses the contemporary place and role of school-based physical education, activity, and health and sport. Physical education continues to be an important part of Government agendas, so with this in mind, you’ll learn relevant and up-to-date techniques and information.
Linked and mapped to the national curriculum for physical education, you’ll be taught the physical activities and up-to-date information that teachers within this sector require. This course will prepare you to apply for PGCE Physical Education courses in Secondary and Primary Education.
It won’t just be about sport, though; you’ll be looking at different aspects of health and people at opposite ends of the health spectrum. It’s a chance for you to gain the knowledge and skills needed to negotiate different challenges.
To help build these skills, you’ll go on placements, working face-to-face and getting first-hand experience, something which will enhance your future employability.
Mapped to the course are additional awards, where you can support teachers in a range of extra-curricular opportunities, including working with school sports teams. All of our physical education and sport courses will provide additional, employability-based qualifications at the same time as your course, enhancing your subject knowledge and giving you valuable hands-on experience.
By taking this course, you’ll be studying at our recently extended £71 million campus in Edgbaston, Birmingham, which will contain a state-of-the-art laboratory, sports therapy rooms, cutting-edge resources and a designated sports area.
Why Choose Us?
- Professional Accreditation – this is the only Physical Education and School Sport course to be approved by the AfPE
- Placement experience – you’ll gain vital, first-hand experience of physical education by undertaking placements, typically in schools, where you can build up your knowledge and enhance your attributes.
- Job opportunities – benefit from our staff expertise and networks to help find you work experience and opportunities. Two PE and School Sport students have secured work with the FA since starting the course.
- Up-to-date course content – the course is mapped to the national curriculum of physical education, ensuring that what you learn mirrors what the sector needs.
- Inspiring children – there will be a host of practical-based teamwork and activities, ensuring you learn by doing. We regularly hold sports festivals for students from all year groups to host with local school children, to provide you with hands-on experience right from the start of the course.
- Level 5 qualification worth £1000 – as well as gaining a degree, by the end of your time studying on the course you’ll also leave with a Level 5 in primary school PE specialism and PE subject leadership which means you’ll be qualified to up-skill PE staff (usually this costs approx. £1000 but is included in the course!)
- Funding support – we work closely with National Governing Bodies to be able to fund any additional qualifications you may want to achieve during your time here, such as the L1/2 teachers swim award.
- Industry leaders – you’ll receive talks from guest lecturers who work within the sector and can provide relevant, up-to-date advice.
- Specialise in your area – if you’re interested in physical education at primary school level, you can learn the exercises and information that children of that age require.
- £71 million campus – we have recently invested an additional £41 million into our £30 million City South campus complete with new, state-of-the-art facilities and cutting-edge resources and equipment.