Popular Music – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 years)
The Popular Music degree course provides the training and skills necessary for a wide range of careers within the music industry.
You will develop understanding of the global commercial music sector, study musical output and techniques, and improve your creativity, professionalism and practical musicianship to a level needed for graduate employment.
This full three-year Honours degree develops both the practical and transferable skills required to make you industry-ready, and the contextual understanding and academic rigour inherent in high-level study.
Subject to Updates
As part of BCU’s commitment to providing excellent student experience, the content and structure of this course is being refreshed to ensure that it continues to meet the highest educational standards. This page will be updated with the revised course documentation by 30 June 2019.
What’s covered in the course?
Awarded by Birmingham City University, this is a high level course with experienced staff and excellent resources. With 3 recording studios, 7 rehearsal rooms, 2 sequencing suites and a 600-capacity working venue on site, you will enjoy the exciting, creative opportunities and supportive environment.
Your principal study can be in performance, music technology, live sound or composition. The course takes a holistic approach to musical study, with every student developing a broad range of skillsets required to become a successful music professional. Assessments are varied and innovative, and often modelled on real industry practice.
You will study the theory, wider contexts and contemporary issues surrounding the global music industry and there will be regular visits from industry experts and artists. You will also develop the musical and creative skills required by a performer, composer or producer, learn how to work well in teams and demonstrate leadership, organisation and decision-making skills. This course will help you to develop a profile suitable for an artist looking for employment within the music industry, and to develop a clear conceptual understanding of connected issues and narratives, researching deeply into current musicology and practice.
Why Choose Us?
- The main areas of the course – Performance, Production, Live Sound and Composition – reflect the reality and scope of the commercial music industry in which you can aim for a variety of roles.
- South and City College Birmingham’s advanced facilities, including a 440- seat auditorium, as well as specialist recording studios and music technology suites, put you in a professional working environment from day one.
- You get the chance to work with current music industry professionals and possibly undertake a relevant commercial placement.
- Developing your creative, practical and professional skills, the course shows you how products such as performances, tours, CDs and radio shows are put together.
- The college has Customer Service Excellence status, and is one of only a handful of training providers to achieve the government’s Training Quality Standard in three or more sector areas.
- With a highly supportive and experienced staff team, excellent levels of contact time and quality resources, you will feel valued, encouraged and stimulated to do your best.
- The industry focus of our training prepares you well for a career in music, or for a wealth of graduate opportunities.