Professional Policing – BSc (Hons) *
Attendance Full Time (3 Years)
The BSc (Hons) Professional Policing has been developed in collaboration with a range of police force areas to give you the opportunity to examine the theoretical concepts of policing whilst also developing the practical and transferable skills you need for a career in law enforcement.
The programme will help to develop your critical thinking about policing, policy and practice through complementary modules encompassing the theory and principles of operational policing, legislation and police powers, structured interviewing skills and much more.
This degree will combine all of these elements together while allowing you the opportunity to take part in a work placement which could be within one of a variety of areas in the field of policing. We recognise that policing requires a distinctive combination of skills, including practical, hands-on expertise as well as sophisticated communication and interpersonal skills. On this degree, we ensure that you gain these skills, along with the latest thinking about policing, to empower you to pursue a successful career within the sector.
This course requires 112 UCAS points (A Level – BBC), as well as English Language and Maths grade 4 or above at GCSE level.
Why Choose Us?
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in your career. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course.
- The course’s professional relevance is supported by our close links with local criminal justice organisations, including West Midlands Police Force and Birmingham Community Safety Partnership.
- All our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- The course offers a unique opportunity to explore the history and development of policing in England and Wales. This provides a broad context which students can use to understand the difficulties faced by constabularies today.
- Our Centre of Applied Criminology ensures that our lecturers are able to apply their research within their teaching and learning.
- Our practice based approach means you’ll get to learn the inner workings of the Criminal Justice System, whilst also studying the theories behind the profession.
- The department has a heavy focus on Birmingham, working within the ever-growing multicultural community on various projects.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to industry in the UK’s second city.