Property Development and Planning – BSc (Hons) / MPlan
Attendance BSc (Hons) - Full Time (3 years), Sandwich (4 years) MPlan - Full Time (4 years), Sandwich (5 years)
Study our BSc Property Development and Planning degree course and you’ll uncover the theory, methods and tools needed to succeed in the planning and development professions.
If you aspire to gain chartered surveyor or chartered town planner status in the UK, you’ll be pleased to know our course has been developed in line with the requirements of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
What’s covered in the course?
The BSc (Hons) / MPlan Property Development and Planning course reflects the changing professional context of planning, land and property development, and the connections between the range of professions active in managing the built environment. Some of the content is shared with our other professionally-accredited built environment courses, so you will receive a varied and comprehensive education focused towards relevant professional employment. Understanding professional requirements, standards, ethics and behaviour are important throughout the course – and your working life.
You will assess how property development can affect individuals and groups, examining the process and outcomes. The financial aspects of property development and management are also covered. You will look at how town planning can facilitate appropriate development: development plans, policies and projects, as well as examining the physical, technical, legal, environmental and political factors affecting development decisions. You will develop your awareness of the complexities and variety within and between different communities, as well as evaluating community participation and empowerment.
You will build skills in managing yourself and working with others, including those from related professions, to identify and achieve the best outcomes for clients, communities and places. You will meet professionals currently working in practice, who contribute to the Property Development and Planning course and help ensure that you get the most up-to-date ideas and information. You will be encouraged and supported to become a student member of a relevant professional body, to join in its activities and events, and to become a confident professional.
Why Choose Us?
- The course content has been developed in line with the requirements of two professional bodies, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
- You have the option to progress on to our integrated Master’s course, enabling you to obtain an MPlan qualification.
- You will also learn key transferrable professional skills, such as time management, communication and teamwork.
- Guest speakers, field trips and research-informed teaching will give you valuable industry insight and prepare you for a successful career.
- It’s an exciting time to study in Birmingham – the city is undergoing huge regeneration. This means that there are many opportunities, now and in the future, for those with built environment qualifications.