Psychology with Sociology – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 Years), Sandwich (4 Years), Part Time (5 Years)
year-long industry placement.
Our innovative course will give you a deep understanding of how the core and specialised areas in psychology and sociology contribute to our understanding of contemporary issues. You will apply scientific reasoning and evaluate patterns of behaviour, gaining key transferable skills in communication, teamwork and problem-solving.
Sociology helps us make sense of the societies in which we live and our place within them. Our Psychology with Sociology course brings together two closely interrelated areas, allowing you to gain significant knowledge and insight.
What’s covered in the course?
Over your three years of study, your Psychology modules will help you gain an understanding of a person’s mind, behaviour and actions, while the Sociology side will equip you with the knowledge of group interactions and society as a whole. Practical in nature, our course will enable you to apply both Psychology and Sociology to human behaviour and society.
Our focus on contemporary and innovative learning practices will help you gain key employability skills, such as communication, teamwork and problem-solving, as well as key skills in two innovative, intriguing disciplines.
Why Choose Us?
- Students are satisfied with our courses! Our Psychology courses scored 93 per cent for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018.
- This degree course is accredited by the British Psychological Society. This means that on successfully completing your degree with a pass of over 50%, you will gain Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership with the British Psychological Society. This allows you to pursue a career path in Psychology through accredited Master’s and Doctoral programmes throughout the UK. The course is therefore as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our programmes you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of psychology, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in your career. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long sandwich placement as part of your degree course.
- All of our programmes have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, ranging from our successful international travel scholarships scheme, through which you can spend a summer working for a charitable organisation overseas, to one of our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award programme enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- You will gain a comprehensive understanding of how psychology can be applied to sociology, building your knowledge of two complimentary disciplines.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work in collaboration with our academic researchers to gain specialist insight into the fields of clinical, forensic, health and occupational psychology.
- You can get involved with additional Psychology projects via our Voluntary Research Assistantship and Student Research Scheme.
- All of our assessments emphasise the practical elements of the course, giving you a taste of what it is actually like to be a psychologist.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to industry in the UK’s second city.
- We have the latest in psychological testing equipment, including eye tracking and EEG scanners.
- Student support is at the forefront of our approach, with everything designed to give you the skills you need to succeed in the profession.