Quantity Surveying with a Foundation Year – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (4 years)
Want a career in the construction industry? Study our BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying with Foundation Year degree.
With our quantity surveyor training, you will work collaboratively with tutors, practitioners, theorists and designers who will equip you with everything you need to help shape the future of the built environment.
About the Foundation Year
The Foundation Year course option enables you to study for our BSc (Hons) degree over an extended full-time duration of four years by including a Foundation Certificate (year one of four). The Foundation Certificate provides a broad study programme that underpins the follow-on degree. In order to progress to the next year of your degree, it is necessary to achieve a pass in all of the modules of the Foundation Certificate.
What’s covered in the course?
Today’s construction industry is facing the challenges of globalisation, climate change, demanding clients and a complex regulatory framework. The growing importance of technology and integrated delivery plays an increasingly important role in the industry.
This surveying course will give you the skills to deal with these challenges and more. With innovation at the core of the programme, you will learn through creative problem solving and working with our industrial partners. You’ll also develop the intellectual and practical competencies required by professional bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
You’ll leave with a broad knowledge of the legal, technical, managerial, economic, social and environmental aspects of construction projects, and able to confidently manage both commercial and civil engineering projects.
This course is taught by experienced staff with a wealth of industry experience. A flexible approach to delivery allows construction professionals to study alongside their professional role.
You’ll gain expertise in cost management, procurement and quantification skills. You’ll also develop expertise in risk management, costing techniques, design economics, buildability, procurement, ability to add value and an appreciation of people from different cultural backgrounds and construction disciplines.
“The energy of the campus was always vibrant and with the close proximity and close relationship between the various construction disciplines, there was a competitive edge that provided a healthy environment to studying.” James Funge
Why Choose Us?
- We are an RICS approved Partnership Centre.
- Strong links with employers such as Willmott Dixon allow you to apply what you learn in a practical context through work placement opportunities. You’ll also have the chance to work on live projects for clients.
- It’s an exciting time to study the built environment in Birmingham – the city is undergoing huge regeneration. The Big City Plan, a 20 year vision covering every aspect of the built environment, is creating innovative redevelopments and opportunities.
- You’ll use industry-standard equipment and benefit from regular site visits which give you a close-up view of professional practice and an industry perspective on your studies.
- You will have the opportunity to take part in international competitions such as the Associated Schools of Construction (ASC) Design and Build competition, giving you an opportunity to apply your skills to real-life projects. Our students have an impressive track record in these competitions and have had the opportunity to travel to competitions in locations across the world including Dallas, Texas.