Social Work – BSc (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (3 Years)
As one of the largest providers of social workers in the UK, our Social Work BSc (Hons) degree is approved by the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC) and is well known for producing excellent practitioners capable of operating in local authority, voluntary or private settings.
What’s covered in the course?
Our specially-designed degree will give you the skills and knowledge needed to make a
difference to people’s lives as a professional and registered social worker.
You will learn about the social work profession and the needs of the people social workers support. We link theory and practice through a combination of academic learning and on the job placement opportunities.
You will gain a first-hand insight into a wide range of issues that you will face in social work practice, such as:
- The care needs of vulnerable people
- Safeguarding children and adults
- The impact of poverty
- Domestic violence
- Substance misuse
- Mental health issues
Through expert teaching and quality placements, you will develop a sophisticated understanding of different service user groups and the skills needed to safeguard the well-being of vulnerable people.
This social work degree course is among the most innovative of its kind, placing you where you will benefit the most – among the people and communities you will go on to support.
See what our students say…
“Some of my colleagues envy the teaching we received at Birmingham City University when they hear what we covered.”
“I like how the student body panel is diverse and multicultural and how they always want to involve the students in everything.”
Why Choose Us?
- This course is endorsed by the College of Social Work – after meeting their high standards as social work education providers
- Approved by The Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC), to ensure that we are practising the highest standards of education and delivering the very best learning opportunities
- High employability rate – 98 per cent of our graduates are in employment or training six months after finishing the course (DLHE 16/17)
- We celebrate diversity and culture – our students come from all cultures and backgrounds and we are proud to have one of the most diverse student groups in the UK, with more than 50 per cent coming from ethnic minority groups
- Birmingham is the UK’s second largest city, providing you with invaluable learning experiences and a vibrant culture to enjoy both personally and professionally
- Exciting and challenging work placements, we support you through placements in order to develop your work experience and practical skills
- We will develop you to be a skilled, resilient and empowering leader, making sure you’ll be fit for social work in the 21st century when you graduate
- Study in our £41 million City South Campus, with access to state-of-the-art facilities and learning environments
- Experienced and dedicated staff team will support you throughout the course, and you will have access to a personal tutor. If you’ve been away from education for a while, we also have a range of excellent resources to help you with study skills such as essay writing and research
- The course covers all aspects of social work, enabling you to aim for careers in specialist social work agencies as well as roles in education and health. Our graduates have found jobs in children’s and adult services, as well as third sector and private roles