Video Game Design and Production – BA (Hons)
Attendance Full Time (2 years)
Our BA (Hons) Video Game Design and Production undergraduate course responds to the growing and innovative sector by developing skilled, team-orientated, reflexive graduates ready to succeed in the field. Interactive Entertainment and Video Games development are key sectors for contemporary culture, economic growth and employment locally in the Midlands, nationally and globally.
This accelerated two-year course gives you a guaranteed video game development placement in our in-house studio. The work-place simulation approach of our department has been championed by the influential 2009 Livingstone, Hope Next Gen Report which cited us as a national best practice example for developing new talent for the games industry.
What’s covered in the course?
The course focuses on digital media asset production and communication. You will gain a grounding within the industry’s design and production principles while developing your creative and teamwork skills.
Building upon your design and production skills, in the first year you will be tasked with a specific role within our in-house game development studio over the summer term. This work experience gives you the opportunity to apply the knowledge and professional practices you’ve learn on the course in a safe and supportive environment.
Throughout the two years you will be provided with a structured programme of learning, in line with your chosen specialism of video game design and production. The course culminates with a project you define yourself which targets a specific subsector of the video games industry.
So, by the time you graduate, a whole year before most students, you’ll have two years of tangible, games development studio experience under your belt, ready to launch your dream career as a games developer.
“The BA Video Game Design and Production course will give you the opportunity to learn all about games design and production, helping you to get your foundation of experience that you will need to decide upon which is the correct career path for you.” Zuby Ahmed – Programme Director
Why Choose Us?
- This fast-track programme provides a rare opportunity to secure a BA (Hons) degree in only two years.
- Guaranteed summer placement in in-house development studio (Year one).
- Teaching is delivered by industry practitioners with over 20 years of industry experience creating products such as Star Wars Battlefront and Goldeneye Reloaded. There arealso trained industry developers now working at studios such as TT Games and Rockstar North.
- During the two-year course you’ll work on a number of live projects with industry partners. Previous partners and mentors have included, Red Bee Media, FreeStyleGames and Codemasters.
- On the course you’ll learn a range of skills relevant and appropriate for careers in video game development specialising in design and production within fields such as component game design and project management.
- This course will develop you to be able to move into employment, or further study.